Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mid-Semester Book Reads

In my Child Lit class we've read:

  1. Little Red Riding Hood
    • The Story of Grandmother - Delarue
    • Little Red Riding Hood - Perrault
    • Little Red Cap - Grimm
    • The Chinese Red Riding Hoods - Chang
    • Flossie and the Fox - McKissack
    • Little Red Riding Hood - McPhail
    • The Company of Wolves - Carter
    • Wolf - Block
    • What Bugs Bunny Said to Red Riding Hood - Seibles
  2. Cinderella
    • Cinderella: Or the Glass Slipper - Perrault
    • Vasilisa the Beautiful - Afanas'ev
    • Cap o' Rushes - Jacobs
    • The Indian Cinderella - MacMillan
    • Little Gold Star: A Spanish American Cinderella Tale  - San Souci
    • When the Clocks Strikes - Lee
    • The Wicked Stepmother's Lament - Maitland
    • Cinderella - Sexton
  3. Hansel and Gretel - Grimm
  4. Snow White - Grimm
  5. Rapunzel - Grimm
  6. Jack and the Beanstalk - Jacobs
  7. The Ugly Ducklings - Anderson
  8. Bluebeard - Perrault
  9. Rumpelstiltskin - Grimm
  10. The Fisherman and his Wife - Grimm
  11. Cousin Ann's Stories for Children by Ann Preston
  12. The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley
For my religion/philosophy/English 3 class?
  1. Gilgamesh
  2. Monkey by Wu Cheng En
  3. Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis by Freud
  4. Oedipus Tyrannus
Halfway through:
  1. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  2. The Trial and Death of Socrates 
Which one did I love the most? Angela Carter's "The Company of Wolves". There's a movie based on Carter's version!

Which I did love the least (so far)? Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis by Freud

4 comments:

  1. I read Oedipus and Antigone in high school and I really liked them. The Freud book sounds interesting but I could see it being a tough read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read those books for my Fairy Tale class. They're fabulous. Too bad you didn't read the Sleeping Beauty one. I think it's called Talia, Sun, Moon, and Stars or something like that. Twisted as heck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE angela carter. You should get your hands on one of her short stories/novella anthologies. After reading "Company of Wolves" I rushed to the library and borrowed it and now I own a copy. Woot! My favorite story is "Puss-in-boots”, and I love her twist on the vampire story in “The Lady of the House of Love".

    --Sharry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never realized The Company of Wolves was a book, I loved that movie!

    ReplyDelete