Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cracked Up To Be

Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers (December 23rd, 2008)

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

From back of book:
“When “Perfect” Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter’s High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher’s pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?”

Review:
Definitely enjoyed the pace throughout the book; very concise, clean and well-organized.

I’m sure this has been said many times but really the mystery aspect of this book was so well done. A small bit here and a small bit there and at the end you’re like “OMG!”

I loved almost all the characters. Seriously. Parker was so three-dimensional; she had her ups and her downs. You get a definite feel as to why she's like the way she is. The rest of the side characters were as equally impressive. They each held their ground against and with Parker. Their personalities and traits are very realistic and not too over the top. I almost forgot Bailey! The adorable dog that I want as my own.

I greatly appreciated the small backgrounds Courtney gave. Sometimes authors never include these things and I’m always dying to know how and why these characters came to be.

The dialogue was fun as well. You can feel the snarky attitude and the tension/awkwardness it created. It was straight forward and to the point when it wanted to be.

This book is definitely not something that eases you into. Right from the start you’re enclosed in a whirlwind of emotions. Jump right in; just remember that it’s hard to escape once you’ve started. Trust me, I had a hard time getting started but once I got the feel of the book I couldn’t stop.

Overall:
A great read for the fall or winter season. Much deeper than your typically YA book. Something to pick on your way from the bookstore or the library!

Cover: B+
The color scheme is very nice, pleasant to the eye. I like the color green so maybe that’s why? Skin seems a bit too air-brushed tan though and some things look too digitally enhanced...

6 comments:

  1. This book is getting rave reviews from everywhere.. so want to read it now. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I had it set to invisible for 2 months now! but now I finally have the time =)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and that you are no longer invisible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has been getting like really, really good reviews. . . and it looks so goodddd! I want to read it pronto! :]

    hope

    ReplyDelete