Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, February 12, 2010

Percy Jackson Series


Series Order: The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, The Last Olympian

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

Summary: No summaries as some may contain spoilers.

Review: I’m going to be as vague as possible in this review as I’ll be covering the entire PERCY JACKSON series without leaving you guys going ‘huh?’ So do bear with me as you’ll probably notice some names you might be familiar with and some names that will most likely come up later in the series.

I had high hopes for this series. For one thing, the movie is going to be released very, very soon so getting a movie deal speaks millions on its own. Because this series is shelved with the other middle grade novels it might explain the perfection of Percy Jackson or vice versa. And by sheer perfection I did not mean I was awe-inspired, jaw-slacked with stars in my eyes for his glorious aura surrounding had naming my first born son after him. No by perfection I call him indestructible, invincible, and frankly, a Gary Stu. Before the screams of ‘what about his dyslexia and ADHD’ comes hurling towards me I do recall Riordan stating that Percy is this way because he is might to be a hero. Dyslexia=able to read ancient Greek. ADHD=his natural instinct to not get killed by monsters. With that said and done I will admit that I did enjoy this series as a nice way to kick back and relax for the day:
  1. The plot is simple enough that you won’t have to scratch your head or take notes to keep up, but it is well done enough that I was still left intrigued and in anticipation.
  2. The various characters that Riordan was able to pack in. He does include an array of ethical characters without stressing so much on it that the reader becomes uncomfortable. Each character is unique enough that the reader can guess which action would best fit which character (aside from the 5th book because that was a slew of names).
  3. The way he was able to incorporate the Greek mythology without cramming it down the readers’ throat while…cramming it down their throat.
  4. The gradual shift from tweens to teens during his adolescent years. The sudden interest in female as well as the density of a typical male without leaving the reader concerned that things might have sped a little too quickly.
  5. The humor for me was not as prominent as what others might believe. A classmate of mine was cracking up at one scene while I barely gave it a second thought. It’ll depend on your sense of humor.
  6. The weaving of the prophecies. Yes those prophecies all the way back when. They come back to bite you in the ass.
What I felt lacked:
  1. Proper editing. There were some blatant errors that gave me a permanent frown for 3 chapters straight.
  2. The last book. I was really irritated by the entire pacing—too fast, too jumbled. The book, to me, was so crammed in 300 or so pages that could have easily stretched. This was not a roller coaster; this was the climb of doom. We went up, and up, and up, then plummeted from the 600th floor in the basement. Countless shifts of time—past, present, more past, further back in the past, wtf is this shit?, skim, headache, yay we’re finally back to where I understand what’s going on! The ending I will have to give kudos to. Wonderful twist.
Annabeth is someone you’ll learn to live with. Tyson reminds me so much of Cheese from FOSTER’S HOME FOR IMAGINARY FRIENDS. Elizabeth Rachel Dare uhhh okay. Grover is my home skillet goat boy thing that plays a mean reed—I think—you’ll be annoyed in the beginning but it gets better. Thalia is the male version of Percy. Nico for some reason really resonated well with me.

Overall: The epitome of a middle grade series—perfect for nephews and maybe some nieces!

FTC: I was no where near paid for this review 'cause if I was it'll be a whole lot nicer and filled with better vocabulary and less grammar mistakes.

11 comments:

  1. You sound like you had the same reaction as my husband to this series. We haven't read the last one yet though. But I liked Percy and Rachel and he liked Annabeth and I didn't. Neither of us like Nico or Grover.

    But I laughed out loud the entire first book and he didn't make a peep.

    I found the fourth book lacking in... just timing I guess. The maze didn't really seem like that big of a deal as they wanted to make us believe it was.

    I am sort of not looking forward to the movie for reasons that they have obviously changed things - main one being the look of Annabeth and the fact that these 11-12 year olds look like they are about to be able to drink beer soon, legally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am actually haven't read these series, and my first attraction with Percy Jackson is its movies. so now, i am interested to read the books, hope it doesn't annoy me! :)

    and i'd like to invite you to my review blog in Buku Buku Dela

    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the last Percy Jackson book, but other than that I really enjoyed the series. I pretty much love anything with a bunch of Greek myths in them, haha.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of them yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I think. I've heard of quite a few people who had problems with the last one.. I don't think it's just you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Won't lie, I finished the series in less than a week, and I went in with pretty moderate expectations bc it was a JF book, and I kinda knew what to expect (bam bam bam adventure/action, little character depth, appealing characters/heroes to younger kids) and that's exactly what I got. And a little more bc I loved the Greek influence and it brought me back to Gr.7.
    I do know what you mean by the Gary Stu thing (geez Percy, die already, lol) but again, appealing to young fans I think.
    Overall, I really enjoyed the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, this sounds like a terrific series and I would really like to read them. I have not seen the movie but heard it was great. My grandaughter and I both like to read these cute but enjoyable books. I also like books about demi gods, oympian gods and goddesses. It has been a long time since I read such a book.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series! I've read them all and I just can't get over how well he wrote these books! i have to admit that I thought the last book went speeding through but I liked them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the series, but I really want to. Hope I can get them somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed all 5 books. The last one to me seemed too much action back to back but I still liked it. I can't wait to read his spin off on this series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the whole Percy Jackson series and realy enjoyed them all. An ideal set of inoffensive adventures that teenagers will love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looooooove the percy jackson books, and i really hope that the next one (the continued series The Heroes of Olympus) will come out soon!! the last one ended the way you wouldn't expect...unlike the other ones. I really recommend it! (I'm secretly hoping that i will become a movie director so that i can direct the Lightning Thief the right way! the book's way!!)

    ReplyDelete