Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Unwritten Rule


The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott (March 16th 2010—Simon Pulse)

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

Summary: Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...”

Review: Some of you may have noticed the eerie similarity between Something Like Fate and The Unwritten Rule that may have resulted in: O_O I know I was. So you’re thinking hopefully both books won’t be identical because that would just be awkward! And while I’m really tempted to do a van diagram to compare these two I won’t.

Elizabeth Scott has a knack for writing family tensions, meek protagonist, and so very squishy romances. I feel like poking the two lovebirds in the tummy and watching/listening to them giggle like the Pisbury Doughboy. Scott is very consistent in her style of writing, aside from Living Dead Girl, that readers can only expect greatness from her. I remember picking up her debut novel, Bloom, from the library reading it twice before returning it only to borrow it again the very next week. This was back when it first came out. Honestly if you haven’t checked scoot out I do recommend you do so. She’s very much like Sarah Dessen an author that I also happen to adore very much so.

The character development seems faint in the beginning and middle with hardly any progression except for letting the snake bites its own tail. A vicious never-ending cycle of one step forward, two steps back, three steps forward, one steps back. If you calculate the numbers you’ll realize there is movement, but very little. This equation represents Sarah and Ryan and Sarah and Brianna. You’ll eventually get there (like near the end where it starts to become five steps forward)!

For me what shines the most is the family in Scott’s novels. I read too many morbid, depressing, broken families to find relief n here. Granted it’s a win-lose situation in The Unwritten Rule, but I love one side of it!

The ending was another reason why I like The Unwritten Rule. And while I know I won’t compare Something Like Fate to The Unwritten Rule I feel as though I need to backtrack that. Scott isn’t afraid to take the road less traveled by. So often you see a book that does well just crash with the ending and I’m happy to report that that was not happened here.

Cover B

6 comments:

  1. I find a lot of books revolve around this same theme. It's always interesting though to see how each author interprets it. This one was very cute, I enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last night and loved it. I think there is only one Scott book I haven't read (Love You Hate You Miss You, I think thats the name).

    I have loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Living Dead Girl by her (which was both horrifying and amazing) so I'm curious about her other books--which seem to me to be much lighthearted. But I dunno about meek protagonists--I really don't like them.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely have to check out some more of Scott's books. I only have Living Dead Girl (owned, not read yet). I'm not sure how I'll feel about the Unwritten Rule, as the whole cheating/liking your BFF's boyfriend makes me terribly uncomfortable. Fab review though, it makes me want to pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so curious about this book, especially the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is my lucky day :)
    Apple is giving review copies of iPad to 100 lucky person. Go to http://bit.ly/cmmVr7 and apply for it.

    ReplyDelete