Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me

Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler (May 13th 2010--Viking)

Grade: 2.7 stars out of 5

Source: Sharon who got it from The Strand

Summary: "KJ Carson lives an outdoor lover’s dream. The only daughter of a fishing and wildlife guide, KJ can hold her own on the water or in the mountains near her hometown outside Yellowstone National Park. But when she meets the shaggy-haired, intensely appealing Virgil, KJ loses all self-possession. And she’s not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that they’re assigned to work together on a school newspaper article about the famous wolves of Yellowstone. As KJ spends time with Virgil, she also spends more time getting to know a part of her world that she always took for granted . . . and she begins to see herself and her town in a whole new light."

Review: Just as there was a mistaken identity in My Boyfriends’ Dogs, there was a case of mistaken identity in Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me due to my fault. When I first heard of WMOT (I am far too lazy to type the title several times) my mind immediately thought: another fantasy werewolf book! Some of you may not enjoy werewolf novels, but I actually do. So I was pretty excited when I had a copy in my hands, when I read through the first couple chapters, but then I thought: where’s the boy changing into a wolf part? The answer: that part does not exist. WBOT is NOT a fantasy book; it is a contemporary novel with actual literal wolves.

After I came to facts with this I read the book a tad bit differently. WBOT deals with father-daughter bonding, single parent homes, small rural homes, and bad rumors and evil villains. WBOT has aspects that I loved and aspects that I felt needed a few more pushes.

There are two sides to the wolf tale: the study of the wolves and the impacts they made to the town/resolutions made because of it. I actually really love reading about the wolf pact—the alphas, the betas, and the Cinderella Wolf. It is far more interesting than I make it seem to be. The other half about the town hating wolves, trying to send them back to Canada and potentially harming them if they don’t get their way was a bore sadly enough. It was like shoveling gruel down prisoners’ throats except in this case it was wolf facts down readers’ throats.

Onto the hot and heavy romance now. Decent, okay, nothing terribly wrong, but it just didn’t spark for me. The father-mother bonding gave me the urge to punch the dad in the face. The townspeople are crazy…but the mean classmate developed into one that readers may surprisingly like just as with many of friends.

Overall: It just was not for me. Can I encourage this for PETA fan(atics)?

Cover B
It screamed fantasy to me! Why!?

5 comments:

  1. I thought this book was about werewolves =[

    Thanks for pointing that out girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap, I thought it was about werewolves too! Boo! I'll pass them, nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. errr that last comment is rather umm interesting.

    I totally thought there were going to be werewolves in this one too. Like you, I also enjoy those types of stories. I didn't even get far enough into this one to see that it was about actual wolves. blah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAIIT how is it NOT about wolves? That, sir, is misleading.

    ReplyDelete