Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Undead Much

Undead Much by Stacey Jay (January 21st 2010—Razorbill)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Even Zombie Settlers with Super Hot Boyfriends get the Blues...

A few months ago I was a normal girl with a normal life. But that was before my power to Settle the Undead returned and someone tried to kill me with zombies.

Now I work magic and practice kicking butt while trying to find time for pom squad and my boyfriend, Ethan, and trying NOT to think about how freaky my life has become. It can be tough. Still…things could be worse…

Oh yeah, right:
1. Feral new super-strong zombies. Check.
2. Undead psychic hottie predicting a zombie apocolypse. Check.
3. Earth-shattering secrets that could land me in Settler prison for life. Check.
4. Cheerleader vs. pom squad turf war threatening the end of the half time as we know it. Check.

I’m going to need therapy (and a cookie) if I live through the week. Unfortunately I’m learning that’s not something Zombie Queens can take for granted. “

Review: I enjoyed You Are So Undead to Me so much that I had to buy the next book. What made me love the prequel was its relatively cute and charming ways. The fact that it didn’t take itself so seriously made it all much more appealing to me. Undead Much went on a whole different route than what I was expecting. I was dandy the first few chapters. Had some laughs, some giggles, some swooning, a few fist-pumps, but then the zombies started appearing…

When I read a good book I find that I’m influenced by them. If they’re happy, I’m happy. If they’re sad, I’m sad. On the other hand a dull and not-so-great book is a reflection of my current state of emotions. I found myself yawning countless times (at 6 in the evening!) and finding my eyes glazing over passages on auto-pilot. That might give a general gist of how I felt about Undead Much.

Undead Much packs a lot. Relationship issues—both family and romantically—are questioned, new powers are discovered, new villains are uncovered. I was invigorated to dive in, drink like a zombie and be quenched, alas my mood swung the opposite way. I found myself irritated by almost every dialogue throughout the book. Imagine this scenario:
A: Hey guess what I found out!
B: I don’t know, what?
A: Com’ on! You HAVE to guess.
B: Ummm okay your sister went through your stuff?
A: As if.
B: You found out your dog peed all over your shoes?
A: Ewwwww!
Etc. etc. effin etc. Please get on with it! There’s a thing called tension, I understand, but when it’s dragged out through 200+ pages I can only rein in my annoyance to an extent. And Undead Much was pushing it.

Okay now that that’s out my system I know want to talk about Megan’s supernatural ability to NOT you know, die. Girl has been 5 times in one night but can still dance with the best of them. She’s been shoved to a freakin’ slab of concrete, beaten, lost about 2 pints of blood, a lot of skin, and holy freakin’ crap she still manages to defeat the bad guy! Um, okay. Okay, not really okay for me.

I’m so wholly disappointed in this book that I am just about to break down and cry because by golly this was supposed to be FANTASTICALLYAMAZING!

Cover C
Ummm does anyone else hate her flats?

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, I am sorry you did not like it :( Thanks for your honest review though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I loved the first book so I'm sad you didn't like it
    but thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the series but since you say the prequel is good, I think I'll check it out since I'm a big zombie fan. :D Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the series but since you say the prequel is good, I think I'll check it out since I'm a big zombie fan. :D Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of this series either but sorry it didn't live up to the first one. that's gotta be a bummer.

    I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

    http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who didn't even enjoy the first book, I KNOW this one isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this book annoyed me too. I hated how she was like made of steal or something. Like she was near death but still fighting like a normal healthy person and umm yeah. I also didn't like her attitude in this book or that whole cheerleader vs spirit squad crap. Who the heck cares?

    ReplyDelete