Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, October 19, 2009

After the Moment

After the Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr (May 18th 2009—Houghton Mifflin)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Maia Morland is pretty, only not pretty-pretty. She's smart. She's brave. She's also a self-proclaimed train wreck.

Leigh Hunter is smart, popular, and extremely polite. He's also completely and forever in love with Maia Morland.

Their young love starts off like a romance novel—full of hope, strength, and passion. But life is not a romance novel and theirs will never become a true romance. For when Maia needs him the most, Leigh betrays both her trust and her love.”

Review: After the Moment felt to me like I was looking in a private affair through a glass window. Captivated but knowing that it was bad to be watching. Because of this I felt a disconnection between all the characters. Like I know of them, but I don’t know them.

I would agree with some that After the Moment was slow and a tad on the boring side. It felt that I was fluttering along the novel waiting for something, anything, to happen. It would touch on many subjects, never breaking free of that one barrier to make it astounding. There was a lot of buildup, a lot, to reach the climax. I felt that the climax could have been dragged a bit longer for a better impact but it still manages to shake the reader (especially with the gruesome fist to fist fighting).

There was a lot of potential behind this book. Some came through others needed to be expanded more. The ending for me was bittersweet.

Cover B-
Thank you Trish for allowing me to be the first stop of Garret Freymann-Weyr’s TLC Book Tours TOUR STOPS. Check out the other stops:
Tuesday, October 20th – Eclectic Book Lover
Thursday, October 22nd – Cindy’s Love of Books
Tuesday, October 27th – The Brain Lair
Wednesday, October 28th – Luxury Reading
Thursday, October 29th – Pop Culture Junkie
Monday, November 2nd – Steph Su Reads
Wednesday, November 4th – Bart’s Bookshelf
Thursday, November 5th – A Striped Armchair
Tuesday, November 10th – The Bluestocking Society
Thursday, November 12th – As Usual, I Need More Bookshelves
Monday, November 16th – Starting Fresh
Tuesday, November 17th – Beth Fish Reads
Thursday, November 19th – Book Addiction
Monday, November 23rd – The Novel Bookworm
Tuesday, November 24th – All About {n}

4 comments:

  1. Bummer this book didn't work for you like it did for me. But that's what makes reading so great, right? That it's such a personal experience.

    Thanks for being on the tour and for giving us your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't really like it! I might still get it from the library to see how it is for me.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the ending and the potential of this book. I expected a little more from this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kelsey,

    If you do get it out, please email me. I love hearing people's thoughts, no matter what. It's so interesting. I wanted the end to be bittersweet, so at least I got that across, and it's so great that Thao expected more. People usually have v. low expectations for a YA. It's been so illuminating to me that the YA community finds the book to slow to start and the romance/adult fiction focuses on the love story or the writing. I really appreciate anyone spending time with Leigh & Maia. I worry that they have been lonely since leaving my laptop. :-)

    ReplyDelete