Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, October 23, 2009

The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg (January 1st 2010—Point)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice…and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways…which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like….”

Review: I think I have solved the mystery of small and cute YA literature. I cannot believe how long it has taken me to realize this but I finally figured it out. When the author describes a male character to the T of his gorgeous blue/green eyes and is tall, dark, handsome and athletic in some way then he and the girl are going to hook up.* When that happens I can guarantee that this book is going to be predictable to an extent. And The Lonely Hearts Club was…to some extent...of almost the entire book....

Fans of the Beetles rejoice there’s a lot of Beatles references here. Okay so there are not that many references mainly just saying how awesome they were. Anyway aside from that The Lonely Hearts Club will be a guilty read to some but with a good motif behind it. Women empowerment—we are women, hear us roar. For a good heartfelt, sisterly [not in the literal sense] bonding this book will sure to please. If you enjoy clichés with a very small twist then try with this book. If you’re looking for a whole new sensation with more action [not in the literal sense] then I suggest finding a new book.

Overall: Small and cute that doesn’t pack much a pow or wow.

Cover B-
Heh. I just got the iPod reference to music to Beatles. Wow I’m slow. Oh the real life cover is much more smoother in detail than it shows.

*There are however many novels that does not follow this pattern.

1 comment:

  1. I like the premise of this novel. But really I don't like predictable stories really much. Beatles references should be fun.

    ReplyDelete