Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, October 26, 2009

Kin and Kith

Kin by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh (October 1st 2008—Graphix)

Summary: “Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.”

Kith by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh (October 1st 2009—Graphix)

Summary: “Rue Silver's life is not what it appears to be. Her mother is a faerie, and has been taken back to the faerie realm. As Rue goes to bring her back, she must travel deep into an inhuman world. At the same time, the faerie realm is venturing into our world too, and taking its toll on those Rue loves. When her grandfather's plans threaten Rue's city, she realizes that she's the only one who can stop him. But is Rue a human or a faerie? Where does she fit? How does she know the difference between love and enchantment?”

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Review: Hmmmm what is there to say about these two comics. I do feel like I should prepare myself for the heartache that is to come with these types of books/comics. I never do seem to love them.

Anyway Black’s storytelling translates well into this format. I think Naifeh’s skills as an artist compliments well with the story as it’s much more of gritty, thick outline, gothic feel. As for the story itself I question how much do I enjoy her work. For me, it’s much too fast and much too slow at the same time.

The plot moves very fast for me. Snap of the finger and there’s something new. Another snap of the finger and there goes a secret. Scene after scene you’re bombarded. Then you step back and question why was that even included. I’m debating about if this scene is important or not, then questioning why am I debating about it because obviously it must be important if the author included it. So wait, huh? Then there are scenes where I’m going O_O what the freak?
I always, always, feel like Black’s work has so much potential! SO MUCH! But then she has to be odd and the entire book falls off balance and I’m just frustrated. There’s so much emotion, so much drama, so much plot that I expect more!

Overall: Every book is a stepping stone to something greater. Will it disappoint in the end I’m crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

  1. You have an award @ my blog! :]

    http://ireadd.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-template-award-etc.html

    ReplyDelete