Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore (October 6th 2009--Dial)

Grade: 3.7 stars out of 5

Summary: “Fire, Graceling's prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

Wondering what makes it a companion book/prequel? Fire takes place 30-some years before Graceling and has one cross-over character with Graceling, a small boy with strange two-colored eyes who comes from no-one-knows-where, and who has a peculiar ability that Graceling”

Review: I read this book back in April, wrote a bit for the review then promptly lost interest in said review. So please bare with me as I have no recollection of the finer details.

While Graceling overpowered me with its elegance and interest, Fire did not have the same oomph factor. Fire shows a very much similar style to Graceling, but what made me love Graceling so much was because of Katsa. Here she was, a high powered woman who can defeat anyone she wishes. Fire was weaker, both mentally and physically. She depended quite a bit on others more so than I liked in some ways.

First off the prologue. Originally I thought that it had no place whatsoever in Fire, it deemed more appropriate in Graceling. But as the story progressed I realized the truth. To say I was astounded, pleased, and giddy with how clever the author was can be the gist of it. It was just beyond perfect of how the pieces laid out, a compact little cube to me.

I must say that Cashore’s attempt with romance isn’t her forte. Some might disagree but after reading many other books that excelled in that area I have to reassess how I feel. It’s that jumping off point that’s awkward to me.

Okay my mind just went blank. I think that is its way of saying that this review is done.

Overall: I may be one of the oddballs who liked Graceling more than Fire....

Cover B-
I like the UK cover more…just saying. No offence US cover.

6 comments:

  1. I like the UK cover more too!
    And, though I really did like Fire a lot, I LOVED Graceling. It will always be my favorite of the two! Can't wait for Bitterblue though... :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the UK cover - it's so much prettier (imo lol)

    And you are an ODDBALL. Fire was amazing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you on the cover thing. Looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read the first book and was kind of dissapointed when i found out that the main character's of the book wouldnt be the same. I have heard it's good tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. See and oddly I think I liked Fire more than Graceling because I liked the lesser Romance of the two.
    I've linked to your review here:http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/search/label/Fire%20review at my review of the same.

    ReplyDelete