Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dasher (October 6th 2009—Random House)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is black. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they could remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the maze after dark.

The Gladers were expecting Thomas’s arrival. But the next day, a girl springs up—the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might be able to find their way home . . . wherever that may be. But it’s looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable.

And something about the girl’s arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers—if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.”

Review: If you’ve read The Demon’s Lexicon before then you would understand when I say that the first entire half is just buildup to the second half awesomeness.

I was rather bored and disappointed when I began reading The Maze Runner after hearing these tales of how wonderful this book was. I mean, yes it was an interesting concept, but I was bored out of mind with the first few chapters. It held so much background information that I was practically seething and screaming where the heck was the action? But then behold when Thomas ran into that maze I literally poured over the rest of the book.

Every few chapters were punctured by omigosh or holy f*** but always, always the thought of must keep reading. Dasher kept the interest of the reader piqued with his many twist and turns, bounds and leaps. Along with the ever so needed funny scenes placed just at the right moment.

Dasher is a mastermind with the concept of foreshadowing. I do, however, have a few questions about the book such as [highlight to see semi-spoiler] why doesn’t Thomas get chocked up when he tells of his Changing? Since this is a trilogy (I believe so) I hope to see some questions answered later on.

And the epilogue is OH MY FLIPPING GOD! I need the next book like NOW!

Overall: Action, slight romance, and mystery. What more can a reader ask for? As for comparing this to The Hunger Games…I don’t know. They’re two completely different plots with similar themes of survival and fighting against “The Man”.

Cover B-
There’s a full cover of this online but I can’t find it…I combed through the artist’s site with no luck.

11 comments:

  1. you can tell books by their covers or most of them, I can look at the cover and know wheather I will like them. I would love to win a book no matter the cover. LOL

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yan, Yan, Yan! Always makes me want to buy books. You're like Kaa of the Jungle Book. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm around 230 pages into this book and I know what you mean about the start, but now, OMG, What the Crap is going on!!! I am seriously hooked, I need to know why all this friggin stuff is happening, must go and read

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to go get a copy of this book! I've heard so many amazing things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I have been holding off on getting this but you just sold me on it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get my hands on a copy of this book!! I have heard so many amazing reviews on it! AH! Great review!!! Dont ya just love epilogues!? lol

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can tell they're good when they hook you like that. I just met him, and he is incredibly nice. I'm dying to get my hands on the next one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of Lockdown, maybe I'll look into it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book must be good cos you need the next one like NOW. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this book up last week and like you I enjoyed it a great deal. I can see where the Hunger Games comparisons come from (for the reasons you listed) but it's certainly it's own unique plot with the Glade and the Maze and such.

    I'm curious to see how the next book works knowing where they are in relation to those two elements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic book that kept me hooked from the first sentence. It never puts your curiosity at rest with all it crazy twists and turns. It also has fantastic descriptions to help picture its strange settimg and characters, great read!

    ReplyDelete