Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, October 2, 2009

Hush, Hush


Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (October 13th 2009—Simon and Schuster)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.”

Review: So let’s talk about Twilight and Hush, Hush and how Fitzpatrick is glaringly obvious that she’s stealing Meyer’s work of art despite the fact Twilight has many similar traits in a majority of YA novels and vampire novels. [hint hint sarcasm] Key word is ‘vampire’ where Hush, Hush is obviously ‘fallen angel’. If that doesn’t clue you in then you obviously need to back away from the Twilight books and the sparkling vampires because in no way will you ever be Edward’s lover. Face it. It’s true.

So let’s talk about Edward and Patch. Patch is the dark, edgy, sexy version of Edward. I guess you can say he’s wilder. That being said the entire novel is a darker theme. The term fallen angel can be accounted for this. Like Adam and Eve, Patch took the forbidden fruit. Whether he succeeded or failed it doesn’t matter, in this one act his wings were ripped. In order to finally get what he has always wished for, Nora is the one person who can help him.

Hush, Hush was addicting. It was a novel that demanded to be inhaled in one sitting alone. The characters come off the pages like a black and white movie and a splash red lipstick or blood for dramatic effect. The rippling cause and effect with a dastardly villain in a pair of killer pumps shoots fire throughout the novel—both literally and figuratively. Sometimes it just too much though. Like a one noted melody.

Together [Nora and Patch]we can only hope that the sequel will bring us more giggles, swooning, and the constant ‘omg omg omg squeal!’

Overall: In order to possess a copy of this book I had willingly sold my kidney, liver, and spleen. Do I regret this decision? Absolutely not.

Cover A-
I love the concept behind this cover. I love the color scheme. The darkness. I just wish the model shaved his armpits (my personal preference) though.

P.S. The name was hard to get into for a while. All I could think about was Patches from Powerpuff Girls

11 comments:

  1. Loved the way you described the book "The characters come off the pages like a black and white movie and a splash red lipstick or blood for dramatic effect"

    I just started reading this, I like it so far, but I'm only couple pages in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ick. I don't think I can buy a book with hairy armpits on the cover. *shudder*

    This was a fabulous review, even though I have no desire to read the book, your review jumps off the page all dynamic-like. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honesty. I've heard that Hush,Hush is very similar to Twilight in many aspects yet I haven't seen many reviews that come out and say just that. So hooray for you. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your made me add this to my TBR just to see how much like Twilight is or isn't :)

    (I'm not a Twilight fanatic but I did like the book *hides in shame*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. Now i'm super curious to see the similarities of the book and Twilight series. And the armpit thing makes me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! My copy still hasn't arrived but I already want to swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this looks superb! Thanks for an excellent review :D

    And how are you getting on without a kidney, liver and spleen?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping and praying that your intuition is correct. I have just ordered 'Hush, Hush' because I thought it sounded very interesting. Unfortunately, I have read your review in which you compare the story to Twilight.

    I. Hate. Twilight.

    But I digress. I am hoping to see something original and charismatic in this story (something that Twilight left behind altogether by allowing both Hero and Heroine to be bland creatures only supported by the side characters- I think that was a run on sentence O.o)

    I really like the idea: the angelic one, anyway. The High School drama I know I will encounter scares me thoroughly, and I hope I will survive the onslaught. I really do love a lot of teen/young adult fiction, and I suppose I torture myself by reading some of the obvious blunders.

    Thank you for the helpful review. I hope to heaven that you are right in your recommendation :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, how can Twilight be hated??? That's blasphemy, lol. It's the modern Romeo & Juliet with a better ending. You gotta wonder why the Twilight series became a movie and left the others in the dust. CUZ IT RULES!

    ReplyDelete