Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Source: Personal Bookshelf

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

When Sophie’s love spell gets out of hand, that’s the third strike and she’s forced to attend Hecate—a reform school for witches/warlocks, faes, shapeshifters/werewolves, and just recently a vampire. The professors at Hecate aka Hex Hall work for The Council (the name is self-explanatory) that just happens to be run by Sophie’s father—a father that she’s never met because her mother, a human, didn’t know that he was warlock when they first met and left when she did. Now Sophie’s trapped in Hex Hall until she’s eighteen, but she might not leave that long. (Mwhahaha.)

So what can you say about a book that you found pleasant, but nothing extraordinary? Nothing. Except for the most cliché statements of all times: It’s not you, it’s me.

Hex Hall was simple, sweet and predictable. The protagonist is the new witch in town, but she’s the most powerful witch in the longest time. She gets roomed with Jenna, the deemed freak because she’s a vampire. She gets corned by a group of meanies who are gorgeous and freaking powerful and wants Sophie to join their coven. Then she gets teamed up with Archer in “PE” who just happens to be tall, dark, and handsome. Oh and Archer is dating the Queen Bee, Elodie, who is the head of the group of meanies. And it’s high school all over again :D

There’s a lot of classification going on and droning from me, but I think it be the result of my lack of excitement for this book. There are witches in every chapter and yet I’m hardly getting a spark from this book. There are instances of hot pink glitter, but nothing where I’m jumping from joy (or any other emotions really). So you can’t expect me to rave (in a good or bad way) about a book if I didn’t feel much about. If you’re looking for something easy and fun to read then try Hex Hall; it isn’t bad despite my page long blah.

Cover C+
There was no cat in this book. And I kinda wish that instead of the plain green dress it was that blue prom dress with peacock feathers, but then again it could just be me.

P.S. Hex Hall needed another final comb through because I spotted some spelling mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. I will own up and admit that I'm a Hex Hall fangirl. LOVED it! ;)

    ReplyDelete