Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Moon Called (Rant)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Source: Personal Bookshelf

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

I have noticed when I rant I tend to let things slip...so SPOILERS (perhaps) you guys!

“Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.”—Amazon

I’m going to add a bit to that. Mercy’s full name is Mercedes and she fixes Volkswagens—haha…ha? I personally did not think that was funny, but I think it was supposed to be. Then again I never did understand car humor. Her next-door neighbor is Adam; he’s the alpha where she lives. But one day there’s an attack, Adam’s daughter gets kidnapped, and he gets shot (almost killed). Mercy takes Adam up north and runs into an ex-lover from her younger years. Oh and her ex-lover is the son of another alpha. Blah drone blah blah blah drone. Facing the facts Moon Called was so boring. So freaking boring that I stopped reading. 5 times. I am a sucker for punishment because I kept coming back though.

So Mercy and the gang are trying to figure out who kidnapped Jessie, Adam’s daughter, and why. Every so often Adam and the ex-lover are puffing their chests out because Mercy is theirs. I don’t know why (seriously why!?), but everyone freaking loves her. I believe in one line Adam said he likes her because of her spunky attitude…oh-kay. And there’s the blah blah blah drone drone bore bore bored part again.

Then oh freaking gosh. The last third of the novel picks up to a pace where I’m not half-asleep and in actuality excited about! And oohh mystery and reasoning! I like it when authors provide concrete, believable reasons for why a situation occurs. The novel ends strongly with enough presence that I decided to pick up the second in the series. Despite my long rant of why I disliked the majority of the novel I am going to read the second.

Cover C

5 comments:

  1. Wow, your blog looks really great.

    I am sorry you did not love Moon Called. I didn't get the car humor either, but I loved the book. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yan, sorry this one inspired such a rant on your behalf. But I confess I am glad you're giving BLOOD BOUND a shot. It's my favorite in the series. Things happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Angie, Blood Bound is really good and is also my favorite in the series. It will be interesting to see if you like that one more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't look like my kind of book at all, however, your review just made me giggle. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you didn't enjoy this one more! But I agree, book 2 was better. I can't say much about the following books though, since I haven't been reading them yet.

    ReplyDelete