Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, May 10, 2010

Jellicoe Road (Ranting Rave)

[On the] Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Source: Contest from eons ago that I forget who I won it from

Grade: 4.5 stars out of 5

I can form no words to describe what happened in Jellioce Road so GoodReads has to suffice for this:

‘"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.”

I had Jellicoe Road for months to years, but I just never had the urge to pick it up. On April 3rd (according to GoodReads) I began the book with Ka-Yam as an agreed upon scientific purpose because we realized some time ago we rated almost the same books identically. I read the first few chapters and screamed hell. I was so utterly lost, so inexplicably confused, so demented to struggle through this that I didn’t care if I was snarking on someone because of my attitude I had with the book.

I am not a memorizer. I am a logistical person (I am logical in my own mind) so shoving name after name after name down my throat will only result in something bad. And with its decision to juxtapose two different storylines at the same time, it creates an even bigger mess in my mind. I just could not deal with the book and I was not going to. Instead I put Jellicoe Road down and purposely drowned it underneath my other books to diminish my guilt for not reading it. I read three to four other books between the interval on when I stopped and when I decided to unearth the book again. And Oh.My.God. I should have never stopped.

Jellicoe Road was painstakingly detailed to the point where I had the urge to create the family tree and draw red swirly things and hearts all around it. I fell in love with the characters and felt a deep connection as if they were my own family. I grieved, I cried, I rejoiced, and I loved (—every freaking minute of it even the first few chapters that I had trouble with).

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all doing direct the other way."

—Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

19 comments:

  1. I still have not read this book. Need to find myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is so powerful, I really want to get this book now :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yan, I love your review. I can tell just exactly what an impact it made on you. I felt the same way. The awesome about killed me. And I really want to do a re-read now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jellicoe Road is fantastic, it's one of my favourite books. <3

    Every time I recommend it to someone my recommendation comes with a big "IT WILL CONFUSE YOU! BUT! KEEP READING!" warning. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I actually haven't read this one yet either... will have to get on that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. Your review summarized a lot of how I felt while I was reading it, which is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have started this book twice. Sounds like I need to pick it up a third time! I keep reading awesome reviews. Maybe it's a late-start hook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely. Once you hit around the 100some pages it picks up and gets less confusing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review perfectly expressed how I felt about this book. I was so utterly confused and frustrated that I wanted to give up, but it was so, so worth it once everything got rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to start this one, though I only bought it about a month ago. (I had to wait for paperback.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book was so amazing! I absolutely loved, and I'm so glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been dying to read this book because of all the great things I've heard about it, but, well. . .I also hate having tons of names shoved down my throat. And I'm afraid I might not as easily get over it as you did.
    But I guess if you loved it in the end, then I should still continue wanting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED this one :D If you reread it, it's even better, I think (coming from a person who has reread it too many times to count :P)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAN! You're review is perfect! JELLICOE ROAD is my all time favorite book and I always try to get people to read it, but they get confused and give up... but they shouldn't give up! Now I can show them you're review and be like "SEE!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY! I knew you'd like this book. It's brilliantly realized and her thread work is uncomparable. I need to read her other books. STAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love this book. At some point I wanted to put it down because I don't think I could understand the story much but everything got better and better as it proceeded, so I think I know how you felt : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay glad you love the book but .. but... why is there no mention of Jonah Griggs in your review? I am probably going to mention his name a thousand times in my review. Or maybe not.

    But seriously, you agree with me that he's one of the best YA guys out there right? =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Kate--I pretty much love all the characters in Jellicoe Road so I didn't put any specific names, but yes I adore Jonah with a passion!

    ReplyDelete