Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Manga Monday: The Wallflower

The Wallflower by Hayakawa Tomoko

Other names: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge / Perfect Girl Evolution
Serialized: Del Ray
Genre: Drama, Shoujo, Romance, Comedy
Art: 3 stars
Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 1 star
Other: Anime; Live Action (Drama series)
Volumes: 25+
It's a gorgeous, spacious mansion, and four handsome, fifteen-year-old friends are allowed to live in it for free! There's only one condition - that within three years the guys must transform the owner's wallflower niece into a lady befitting the palace in which they all live! How hard can it be?

Enter Sunako Nakahara, the agoraphobic, horror-movie-loving, pockmark-faced, frizzy-haired, fashion-illiterate recluse who tends to break into explosive nosebleeds whenever she sees anyone attractive. This project is going to take more than our four heroes ever expected: it needs a miracle!"--from Del Ray
This series is being dragged to the pits of hell. It starts out promising, very extreme with the characters with the comedy hitting the right notes, but it's never-ending. The same scenario is used over and over again and it feels like the plot is going absolutely nowhere. With the same scenario, how does one expect any characters to develop? It doesn't happen is what! I made it to volume 18 or so, I am guessing, and had to call it quits. I am not seeing an ending in sight and there is nothing interesting to make me want to continue reading.

After a while even the comedy becomes nauseating and the artwork just tiresome. It is a constant joke that is passed off every chapter and the feminine "bishes" make me want to uglify them.

I have watched the anime and it is not fulfilling. Then again it only covers 11 volumes whereas the current count of the manga is 25 and ongoing.... The live drama I might attempt. I heard it is slightly different.

Volumes: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 21

4 comments:

  1. Argh, I used to love The Wallflower so much! But my lord, the neverending plot is such a killer! The anime is not so bad, considering that it's like 25 episodes I believe? I tried the drama, first episode. I couldn't stand it. ._. They attempted to make it funny like the manga but it doesn't really pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only watched the anime and I thought it was really fun, it's not nodame cantabile but it is entertaining in a weird way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the art on these! Have a ton of Magna in my house that my kids and husband read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember loving this series so much when it started. Sunako was so unique, I adored her character... But yeah, I lost interest too when it started dragging. D:

    ReplyDelete