Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Linger

Linger (Wolves of Mercy Fall) by Maggie Stiefvater

Source: ARC from Scholastic

Grade: 3 stars out of 5
"In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget." (from B&N)
A part of me LOVES this book only because the end was like ZOMG!, but another part of me, a larger part for sure, is frustrated by this book. I am frustrated because Linger took a hell of a long time to reach any sort of tension and meaning behind these novels. So Linger is told through a new perspective, Cole I believe, who was turned because he wanted to and his best friend, who didn’t know. Linger was pretty much about Cole and Isabelle and if you ever want to read about a bad boy, Cole is your man. (He is also a rock-star so there’s a double good isn’t it?)

Then there was the build-up and the build-up and more building and finally, you guessed it, more build-up. It got to the point where I was clawing my face and complaining to my brother at how pissed I was at the point. By page 300 or somewhere around there I leaped up from my bed and screamed FINALLY! It was getting juicy and good and tension filled and emotional and wreaking havoc on my feelings and then it ended. Then I got pissed again because the ending was like super huge cliffhanger.

Cover A+


Linger is out now: Amazon / Indie Bound / Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. This series is such a yawn-fest. I'm sorry, but I have to be honest. I love Maggie the author and think she has an amazing writing ability but the problem with this series is there's hardly any plot. It's all like a low hum and no spark. I felt this way about Shiver but still gave Linger a chance.... but it did not help. I will not be reading the rest of this series. I'll try reading LAMENT, her other book series, and see if the plot is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I personally LOVED Shiver. I loved Sam. I'm kind of sad that this isn't the second part of Sam and Grace's story. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I couldn't even get through Shiver so I decided to just skip this book all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved Cole, but more than that I loved his view of Sam and Beck. I really thought that Linger was a major build towards Forever. I think there was a lot of foreshadowing in the struggles that will occur in Forever.

    ReplyDelete