Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (May 22nd 2006—Houghton Mifflin)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D.J. can't help admitting, maybe he's right. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn't so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won't even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D.J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.”

Review: It breaks my heart a little bit when the majority of the people I listen to recommendations from love a book while I dislike said book. It boggles your mind when you try to figure why is that you do not like this book!? Then you just have to say to the heck of it because you can’t change your opinion because your friend likes it.

Dairy Queen for me was so slow. That’s one of the main reasons for me. After reaching to page 100+ I gave up hope. Nothing sparked for me. I wasn’t fond of neither D.J. nor Brian or the entire story for the matter. Complete bore.

This book is one for fans of football, feministic ideology (yeah we can totally kick guys’ arse even in their respected sport) and cows/farm life. Most of which I do not happen to enjoy reading. So, um, yeah, that’s all.

Overall: N/A

Cover C+/B-

4 comments:

  1. lol same thing happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the review I've been waiting for. ha-!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I felt when I first picked up the book... I didn't find DJ's voice particularly interesting, I'm sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read this book but I like the last installment of the series.

    ReplyDelete