Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Some Girls Are

Some Girl Are by Courtney Summers (January 5th 2010—St. Martin’s Griffin)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard—falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High...until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past”

Review: Some Girls Are had me blubbering along rotating from a tissue to a stress ball in one hand while death-gripping the book in the other. Some Girls Are is a malicious, shameful, tension driven, gut-wrenching, throat-clenching, tear-jerking read that I loved every minute of. And I have to blame it all on Courtney Summers’s twisted sick mind for that.

Very few books break me down to the point where I needed to cut the book off, breathe in and out, vent on twitter and dive back in a few minutes later, yet Summers seem to be able to create this situation countless times. Regina does not get a break many times throughout the novel and neither does the reader.

We follow Regina on this roller coaster ride of turmoil as she faces every possible malevolent scenario. From not-so-innocent shoulder slams and chairs digging into her side to locker “mishaps” all the way to ditching her in the middle of nowhere with no shoes…in the friggin’ cold…beaten and bloody. But Regina could take it all and dish it back because she’s strong. Yet she is still vulnerable. However, there are times when things begin to lose its credibility when the reader questions if such a person exist? Can a person be so devious, so spiteful, so full of hate?

Every character Summers introduces is memorable and captivating. Her writing style is engrossing and straight to the point. Just as how a poet chooses his words carefully, every word Summers uses has a purpose—to guide its reader, to astound them, to mesmerize them. The love interests that she cultivates buds and has the possibility to blossom at the end of the novel.

Overall: Courtney Summers will suck you and never let you go. She will trap the readers into her world and will have them gasping…from shock? for air as they cry? from the tenderness that Regina demonstrates to Michael? One thing is for though, readers will be watching for the next novel by Summers.

Cover B-

FTC: Review copy was provided by the publisher

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book, but why no 5/5 then? :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my wish list and I can't wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Can't wait until I get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this book today and absolutely loved it. My review will be up tomorrow. I'm totally looking forward to Courtney's next book too- she has such a way with plots, characters, everything and it's just so hard to put the book down. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this book and I am happy to hear it is a tear-jerker, every now and thene I need one of those books. Awesome review, makes me even more excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah, I'm excited that this is such an emotional book. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so so so want to read this book. Great to hear how much influence it played on you.

    ReplyDelete