Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday Mystery: Lauren Bjorkman

1. You're asked to disguise yourself and given a choice of a wig. Which type would you pick? (A neon purple afro, a platinum blonde fohawk, a midnight blue mallet, etc?)
I’m partial to a bright fuchsia bob with bangs. Imagine me in a plastic mini skirt and high-heeled boots to match. And large, very dark sunglasses.

2. Have you done any awesome pranks that you would like to brag about?
I like to do silly things to get a reaction, like wearing flippers to bed or offering a friend a shot glass full of water.

One late evening when I was a teen-ager, I unscrewed the light bulb in my dad’s bathroom and put Saran Wrap over the toilet. This was very daring of me on account of his temper. Then I hid out in my bedroom, which was the next room over, to listen. First he cursed the light. After that I heard a sound not unlike rain hitting an umbrella. What the…? After a few seconds, he laughed loudly. Phew!

3. What unmentionable foods have you eaten or would like to try?
I once had coagulated duck blood soup in a meat market in southern China. Never again. The same goes for sea cucumber. But I enjoyed yak butter tea, except when there was a fly in it. I could imagine ordering haggis after a pint or two at a pub in Ireland.

(I've had pigs blood and I kind of like it coughcough)

4. I like waffles, do you? Or are you a pancake fan?
Crispy brown waffles with blueberries. Yum

5. Ever lit anything on fire?
My husband is the pyro of the family. He likes to fill a plastic bag with hydrogen and light it on fire. It makes a satisfying fwoosh and ball of flame.
I haven’t lit anything bad on fire—I’m too well behaved I guess :D But recently my son lit a candle in his room. He came out to talk to me, oblivious to the fact that the hood of his shirt had caught fire. I tackled him to the ground and rolled around to put it out. No one was injured. He saved the shirt as a souvenir to brag to his friends.

6. Do you have any future plans of a book?
My new YA, Miss Fortune Cookie, will come out in spring of 2011. It is the story of a friendship triangle gone wrong—with bad advice, teen pregnancy, a Mini Cooper, an unexpected romance, and fortune cookies. My agent is calling it a Chinese-American Juno.
I’m also working on a story about a girl who runs away to Morroco to search for her mother that abandoned the family years before.
There are more ideas brewing.

7. What is your favorite nursery rhyme (I'm currently doing a research paper on that)?
When I was small, I enjoyed the old woman who lived in the shoe because I liked the idea of unconventional living spaces—caves, tree-houses, underwater palaces, etc.. And I loved Humpty Dumpty because I didn’t get to eat eggs as often as I wanted them. Just kidding. Sort of. I felt sorry for him, too.

Thanks for the fun and creative questions, Yan!
Lauren
Check out my review of My Invented Life here. Find Lauren are her website

2 comments:

  1. What a great interview, such interesting questions. I loved her book. Thank for the glimpse back stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun questions, and great answers!

    ReplyDelete