Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, December 12, 2009

This is What I Want to Tell You

This is What I Want to Tell You by Heather Duffy Stone (March 1st 2009—Flux)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Nadio and his twin sister, Noelle, always had a unique bond. And somehow, Keeley Shipley fit perfectly into their world. But when Keeley spends the summer in England, she comes home changed, haunted by a dark memory. As she and Nadio fall in love, they try to hide it from Noelle, who's jealously guarding a secret of her own. Slowly, a life-long friendship begins to crack under the crushing weight of past trauma, guarded secrets, jealousy, obsession . . . and an unexpected love that could destroy them.”

Review: This is What I Want to Tell You is a book that is okay while it lasts. There is a conflicting battle within me because I do see some potential yet I did not like how the book was laid out for the reader.

This is What I Want to Tell You is a double sided love story back to back. Noelle’s is the semi-tragic, coming of age love story whereas Nadio’s tale begins with Keeley coming back home and coincidentally falling in love with your childhood best friend. Oh and did I mention that she’s also Noelle’s best friend? Awkward…. So throw that in a pot and some family trouble you’re left with a 200+ page book that kind of needed more pages.

The relationship of Nadio and Keeley was too fast for me. Sometimes I question if they were jumping the barrel. Noelle’s relationship juxtaposes her twin brother’s relationship: While his continues to grow and strengthen, hers became frenetic and grasping the thin straws. I feel as though the reader follows this tornado of emotions. You can’t decide which way you’re facing: towards the happiness for Nadio and Keeley or the despair of Noelle.

As I mentioned before this book has potential. The writing style was not one that I particularly liked which made the book hard for me to really like as well.

Overall: N/A

Cover B

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound as good as I expect but still worth a try I guess. Thanks for the review, Yan ^^

    ReplyDelete