Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Eternal

Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith (February 10th 2009)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Her reckless and adoring guardian angel, meanwhile — fighting in human guise as the princess's personal assistant — has his work cut out for him with the Master’s Death Day gala fast approaching. Can Zachary save his girl’s soul and redeem himself before all hell arrives, quite literally, on their doorstep?

In alternating points of view, the vampire Miranda and the angel Zachary navigate castle life and a cutthroat eternal aristocracy while playing out a dangerous love story for the ages.”

Review: I still have yet to read Tantalize which is sitting on my bookshelf right now so I had no idea as to what to expect from Ms. Smith. I think Eternal fulfilled my expectations.

Eternal captivated me from the very beginning and carried me throughout the entire novel. There were short interludes scattered about with Miranda’s best friend’s blog post and an email passed through the angels. While I normally would not appreciate such distractions I found it to be quite fun. It’s like a short commercial break that leaves you wanting to know what happens next and dying for more. Not to mention I found the email to be unexpectedly humorous “See attached Yahoo! maps.” had me cracking up for some odd reason.

Despite these many modern terms and technology, Eternal had an old school vibe. With its wooden stakes and holy water, Eternal goes back to the classics. And the classics never fell.

However I did find the relationship between Miranda and Zachary a bit haste. After realizing that he was an angel that practically stalked her in her life, I expected this huge confrontation and lengthy discussions. Instead, it was a simple wow and moving on…I guess I wanted a bit more conflict and less perfection.

Overall: A fun and good read to pass the time by.

Cover B-

1 comment:

  1. I saw another review somewhere...now I don't remember and too lazy to find it again. It sounds like fun with the emails between the angels (the Yahoo!maps would be hilarious!).

    "Despite these many modern terms and technology, Eternal had an old school vibe. With its wooden stakes and holy water, Eternal goes back to the classics. And the classics never fell."

    Amen to that! You can never go wrong with the classics :)

    cecilia

    ReplyDelete