Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wake

Wake by Lisa McMann (March 4th 2008—Simon Pulse)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Not all dreams are sweet.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....”

Review: Lisa McMann, you have just found yourself another fan girl. I started to read Wake last night and finished it the following morning. After chatting with Carol yesterday night regarding my disappointment with Chasing Boys, I decided to seek some guidance with choosing my next book to read/review. I wanted something in my currently reading pile, killing two birds with one stone, which consisted of fifteen (now thirteen) books. She chose Wake and Triple Shot of Bettys. I decided to start the Wake series. And. I. Loved. It!

My expectations for Wake were moderate, I read some good reviews but the summary did not draw me in. And the cover as well (I’m a cover whore). So imagine my surprise when I was half way in and an hour past my curfew, not to mention my lack of interest in preparing for the test the next day; or the fact that I dragged the book to school to read during advisory when I should have been studying just to finish the book. And let’s not forget the fact that I am going all fan girl mode here, typing this review up and ignoring my upcoming quiz tomorrow.

What I loved about Wake was the fresh idea! Finally, something other than faeries and vampires! Now we have dream catchers, which that idea itself was new. I read somewhere that someone had issues with the many fragment sentences. I, however, found the sentence structure fun and lyrical. It was like little mini poem verses, small breaks from the extensive details. Despite the details, Wake can hide little details along the story and catch you in surprise! This kept the excitement going and the action not too predictable.

The characters were amazing! I like how each and every character had a certain set of traits, one was the strict leader, and the other was the flirty cheerleader and so forth. And the relationship with Janie and Cabel had me swooning and squealing like a pig being fed a five course dinner.

Of course, there were some issues. The ending was rather rushed. I had some questions about the police force that employed Janie. And I felt that the relationship with Janie and Cabel, while great, was too fast paced and too soon. I guess a bit of more build up would have been nice.

Overall: I needed this book after going through a not so pleasant stream of novels. Wake was a fascinating read that will keep the reader entertained even after finishing the book. I just could not help myself but to reread some sections after sighing with satisfaction.

Cover B+
EDIT: Fade review should be up shortly. I read it this afternoon and haven't found time to review it quite yet.

8 comments:

  1. oh yay I'm glad you loved it. I can't wait to start Fade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG
    isnt it the best book ever?! soooo good
    ditto sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) FADEFADEFADE
    i liked fade better than wake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're pretty strict with your ratings so I'm glad you rated this one well; it means it's got to be really good! I have it on my bookshelf, so I hope to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this one, it sounds great. And I agree with you, the cover doesn't look that great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the cover looks interesting, but a bit too ghost story. I wasn't sure about this one but now maybe I'll try it - I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't been able to read this series. Which is a huge bummer! I still need to somehow get them because well, I'm on book restriction to buying books at the moment. ><
    Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I bet I'm going to go all fan girl on it too, xD. Great review, can't wait to see what you thought of FADE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just picked this up and zipped through it today because, as you said, it was FANTASTIC! :D The ending is quite a cliff-hanger!

    ReplyDelete