Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, February 27, 2009

Fade

Fade by Lisa McMann (February 10th 2009—Simon Pulse)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “SOME NIGHTMARES NEVER END.

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.

Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared....”

Review: Fade takes off exactly where Wake ended. I felt that Fade, compared to its predecessor, Wake, did not reach its full potential. While I agree that Fade was still as captivating and hard to put down as Wake, it was way too rushed for my taste and had too many unanswered questions.

For one, while I thought the gateway to Martha, another dream catcher like Janie who passed away in Wake, through Janie’s dreams was innovative and fun, I had some questions. How for example, are they connected? I would have understood it if she happened to be alive and traveled to Janie’s dream, but she passed away even before Janie knew she knew Martha was a dream catcher. Was it a subconscious effect, or somehow the notebook triggered a mysterious dream catcher guidance?

Moving onto Janie’s and Cabel’s relationship. Remember how I stated in my review for Wake that I felt that they were moving too fast? Well, this time they ran a marathon. Maybe it’s just my opinion. Also Cabel is an emotional roller coaster, which if I could, I would have asked for a quick break ever once in a while. He can put Edward Cullen to shame with his angst. I had a strong urge to throw a paper ball at his head and scream, stop ignoring Janie! Take a chill pill!

Onto the plot; like Wake, Fade takes you onto a journey to solve a case. Except this time instead of drug dealers, we are talking about sexual predators. It was a love and distaste relationship between it and me. For one, I love the build up—great details, great clues, and great action. My only complaint had to be the vocabulary. I definitely recommend this to be read by the older teens, some things can get graphic which I do not find to be appropriate. Other than that, it was fine.

If the Wake series ever turned into a television series, I am definitely TiVo-ing it. Seriously. It has all the making to become a smash hit—drama, action, and for those who are interested, sex.

Overall: A great sequel! I am immediately counting down the release of Gone, the third installment to this awesome series!

Cover B+

3 comments:

  1. Yep, alright. Definitely going to try my hardest, again, to get these books. Great review. You made me want to read them more. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get to read these! Nice review, btw.

    ReplyDelete