Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, February 6, 2009

Raven

Raven by Allison van Diepen (February 10th 2009)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Zin dances with fire in every step, speaks with a honey-sweet voice, and sees with eyes that can peer into your soul. It's no wonder Nicole is madly in love with him. Their friendship is the only thing that saves her from the boredom of school and the turmoil of her family life. But she cannot understand why he keeps her at a distance, even though she can feel his soul reaching out for hers. Zin carries a very old secret. When Nicole uncovers the truth, her love may be the only thing that can save him from it.”

Review: Raven was an emotional roller coaster since the very beginning. It’s a never ending ride that won’t leave you bored.

What I greatly found enjoyable about Raven was the history of the characters. I found how they came to be interesting and captivating. Not only that, but how that defined them later on.

The dancing was fabulous! The battling was entertaining to read especially if the reader was able to visualize the stunts and tricks. Impressive terminology of the various moves to breaking and the description as well! While I was able to get the gist of many of the dances, after many television shows previously watched, I found that it might be a bit hard to understand for others. A glossary in the back going into further details would have been a bit helpful.

In addition there were some areas where I felt that it faltered. Throughout the entire novel, spells were mentioned but never in detail. I wanted to know more about it, the concept, the way it was used, how it was used!

The ending itself was another issue for me. What happened to the others characters after the group split up? Did they travel somewhere else, did they die?

Overall: An addicting read from start to finish no matter the flaws. A 24 episode drama compacted into a simple 300 or so paged book.

Cover B
The copy that I have doesn’t have the bold colors which makes me sad.

4 comments:

  1. Good review! You definitely got me interested in it (= Thanks Yan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh sweet review. Just the description of Yin's character sends shivers up and down my spine. Ah well, I guess we're all suckers for that mysterious paranormal male character! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. Doesn't look like my type of read, though. And I agree, I wish the cover were more eye-catching! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review, I can't wait to get hold of this!

    ReplyDelete