Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Something, Maybe

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott (March 24th 2009—Simon Pulse)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she's got them all beat. Her dad made a fortune showing pretty girls--and his "party" lifestyle--all over the Internet, and her mom, who was once one of her dad's girlfriends, is now the star of her own website. After getting the wrong kind of attention for far too long, Hannah has learned how to stay out of sight...and that's how she likes it.

Of course, being unknown isn't helping her get noticed by gorgeous, confident Josh, who Hannah knows is her soul mate. Between trying to figure out a way to get him to notice her, dealing with her parents, and wondering why she can't stop thinking about another guy, Finn, Hannah feels like she's going crazy. She's determined to make things work out the way she wants....only what she wants may not be what she needs.”

Review: Something, Maybe had a uniquely interesting start. I mean what other book have you read that includes naked moms!? But I felt that the delivery was too short to fill the reader wholly satisfied. It’s the type of feeling that you get after reading a book that was good, but you needed and wanted more from it. You expected more, whether it may be in the plot or in the characters. For me, it had to be the characters…okay and some of the plot as well. Again, nothing really off, just wanted a lot more.

There were certain traits that I love from the separate characters. Josh was the typical “perfect boyfriend” and I love how the author played on that, especially the ending. Huge shock, I’ll just leave it there. There were small hints and foreshadowing, but who really notices it all until the end? Definitely not I.

Finn was also another sweet and adorable character for me. He just made me want to go aw every page. From his blushes to his fallback topics, Finn was delightfully fun to read.

Ms. Scott’s definite strong points are her male characters. The lead female characters are typically boring, one dimensional, and sometimes annoying. Not to say they are all awful and hateful to read. Not in the least. It’s just that comparing to the other characters, I expect more from the main star.

Family dynamics, another reoccurring theme in her work. Once again, this is definitely one of her stronger assets. You can tell how the conflict between parents afflicts on Hannah’s traits, how she portrays certain topics, and her actions to certain problems. This can be applied to almost of Ms. Scott's books, not just Something, Maybe. The family conflict can also affect the mother, whom of course the female character has strong bonds to. Back and forth they play on each others emotions and actions.

Overall: Something, Maybe was a pleasant read. And I hate to admit this, but I’m starting to see a correlation between Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott. Well, I sort of did before but I try my best to not compare authors.

Cover A-

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. That cover is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I know what you mean about Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott. There do seem to be some similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this book sounds really good! The cover definitely is eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I can't wait to read it, it sounds great! (:

    ReplyDelete