Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Generation Dead

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters (May 6th 2008)

Grade: 2 stars out of 5

Summary: “All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. Termed "living impaired" or "differently biotic," they are doing their best to fit into a society that doesn't want them.

Fitting in is hard enough when you don't have the look or attitude, but when almost everyone else is alive and you're not, it's close to impossible. The kids at Oakdale High don't want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn't breathing. And there are no laws to protect the differently biotic from the people who want them to disappear - for good.

With her pale skin and goth wardrobe, Phoebe has never run with the popular crowd. But on one can believe it when she falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids. Not her best friend, Margi, whose fear of the differently biotic is deeply rooted in guilt over the past. And especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Recently, Adam has realized that his feelings for Phoebe run much deeper than just friendship. He would do anything for her; but what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?”

Review: I was actually expecting something more from this book. A bit more POW and excitement. While the general concept was interesting the execution failed for me. Every once in awhile there will be scenes which I enjoyed and thought was humorous. For example there’s a scene where a “celebrity” gives the group a pep talk. It was funny break from all the drama and nonsense.

It was whole stereotypical characters were what mostly turned me off though. The hot, goth girl who is technically the social outcast and the super kind football player who happens to the childhood best friend. The majority of the characters I felt were two-dimensional. No true flaw, almost perfection. There was however a character that was compelling to read. It was the so called villain, Pete. He had the most spunk, the most depth, the most charisma I must say.

There was also this one awkward scene that I felt had no place in the novel, the scene with Margi and Adam. I won’t go in further depth with this one since some people despise spoilers. Speaking of scenes that had no place, about a third of the novel I felt could have been removed. It basically threw off the natural flow and just added weight to an almost good book.

Overall: A huge upset on my part. Not to say this was an awful, horrible, disgusting book. It wasn’t. It just wasn’t for me. There are plenty of other reviewers who enjoyed, and loved Generation Dead. This happens to be my opinion of it.

Cover C-

I'll still be reading and reviewing the sequel to Generation Dead.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I dunno, I really got into the characters. I do agree with you about Pete - I loved that Waters gave that much depth to the villain.

    I'm jealous that you have the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, pooh. I really looked forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't judge it completely on my review~ Others seem to really enjoy this book! Take Liviania for example XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I've heard so many good things about this book. I'm (hopefully) going to read it later this week, so guess I'll see what I think about it then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love well-rounded bad guys - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete