Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cathy's Book

Cathy’s Book by Jordan Weisman, Sean Stewart, Cathy Brigg (Illustrator) (February 25th 2008--Running Press)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Things weren’t so peachy in Cathy’s life before Victor broke up with her. Her father died unexpectedly, she’s failing school, and her best friend is mad at her. But when Cathy decides to investigate Victor’s reasons for ending their relationship, things suddenly go from bad to very, very, very bad as her findings produce more questions than answers. For instance, what does the death of Victor’s co-worker, the strange mark that appeared on Cathy’s arm, and the surreal behavior of several Chinese elders have to do with it?”

Review: Cathy’s Book was something that took me by surprise. It was a mixture of many things wrapped up into one—there was fantasy, contemporary, sass, snark, humor, and many other things that escape my mind for now.

Right off the bat I noticed how this book focuses on the friendship. Emma and Cathy have a tight bond that definitely shows throughout the book. Cathy always tells Emma everything, whether it may be the bad, the good, or the don’t-hate-me-because-I’m-stupid phrases. You can also get a few hints from the little doodles and notes on the margins of Cathy’s book.

Speaking of which. The strongest point of this book has to be the artwork. The reason why it took so long to read was because I ended up staring at the doodles everywhere. So intricate and random! I just love it. Some makes me laugh, others make me amazed, and together I just stare for an endless amount of time. It was also on the front and back cover of the book. In just the right light you can see the other sketches. However there was this one part that I felt threw me off the loop. In the middle of the book there is this section with this actual photograph of Victor and his previous wife. Honestly, I wish they never would have put it there. He did not appear in his early 20s, “cute”, or how Cathy described him. In fact he reminded me of my own father which was beyond creepy.

The relationship between Victor and Cathy leaves a lot to be desired. We do not actually read much of him, just his mere impact on Cathy. We raid through his belongings, his past events with Cathy, but nothing else. So I really cannot say about their relationship, and I expect to explore on that in the later series.

On Victor and Cathy separately only I must say I am not fond of them. Victor flips flops continuously and Cathy is a tad selfish. But again, we’ll see how this will progress in the later series.

There’s just so many things I cannot say! The plot is filled with holes, the details not exact, the characters not fully developed. It’s frustrating as a reviewer that I cannot review this book only.

Overall: Next book in series please. Needs to find out what the heck is going on!

Cover B+
Just because of the shiny plastic parts that show up in the right light.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read. I love pictures. I was drawing some just last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and I couldn't make up my mind what I thought of it! I loved the presentation, though. It's fantastic!

    Thanks for the interesting review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's always caught my eye, but I was also a tad skeptical. I was afraid that it was more visual/presentation and less substance. It seems you think so a bit too. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the insight into this book. I've had my eye on it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don't worry about negative opinions.

    ReplyDelete