Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, May 25, 2009

Traveling to Teens: J.A. Yang

J.A.Yang has slummed it in the valley with the Wakefield twins; slumber partied with Huey, Dewey and Louie; joined Krakow in stalking Angela; and climbed every mountain with the Von Trapps.

Originally from San Diego, he's lived and traveled the world (okay, not all of it) in pursuit of that most elusive of targets -- inspiration.

He's authored and published a book, written for online and offline publications, and maintained a variety of popular blogs on subjects ranging from movies and technology to personal stories and amateur musings. He's just wrapped up his second book, a fiction novel for teens, and is hard at work on his third one.
1. Aside from being an author what other famous careers would you like?
Well, if I wasn't an author I think I'd love to be a background singer/musician. Never in the front mind you, I'd get stage fright. But in the back where I could dance in unison with the band and do all the hand clapping and whistling needed. I'd be "Oh hey, it's that guy who does all the hand clapping parts."

2. Does this involve disguises? Describe your ideal disguise.
Being a background singer wouldn't require a disguise but probably a fun costume or two. What I would need a disguise for is my nightly romps around the city solving crimes and policing the streets. If being a superhero could be a career, I'd definitely choose that one. And sing and whistle while apprehending criminals too, of course.. The only requirment for my superhero disguise right now is a cape. Something reversible. Beyond that I'm open to suggestions.

3. I noticed in Exclusively Chloe that you are in tuned with fashion. Are you up to date on the latest fashion trend? What are some of your favorite pieces to wear?
Haha, I'd like to think I'm in tune with the latest fashions but that's probably just in my head. I know my personal fashion style certainly isn't in tune with what's fashionable nowadays. I've been in search of the ideal cool jeans for quite awhile now and can't find them. I'd hoped to revamp my personal style for a few months but it's not happening yet. Maybe the summer will allow me to kick my outfits up a notch.

But what I love to see on other people are great accessories. If anyone has an awesome necklace, earrings, ring, bracelet, etc. on, I always comment and say how great it looks because I really appreciate that stuff. It's the little details that make fashion something incredibly fun to get into.

4. Chloe's Chinese name was Shao-Chi. Was there a reason why you decided to skip the traditional ping-yin of Xiao, and replacing it with Shao?
Originally I had Xiao-Chi, which is probably the correct spelling for "little," but I changed it because "shao" would make it phonetically pronounced more like how I wanted it to sound, for those who didn't know pinyin. I'm not sure if that's a general concession when writing Chinese words but that's what I did and actually my sister asked the exact same thing since I based Chloe-Grace's Chinese name off of her Chinese name.

5. Random question because I'm slightly curious. If you had an option of surviving one week off of tofu or rice, which would you choose? This of course would include condiments and any method of cooking for the two food--stir-fried, sticky, stinky, boiled, any way.
Oh this one's easy. I'd go with rice in a heartbeat. I could eat just plain white rice all day if I had to. Rice is one of my top five foods and my staple food in times of need. I love just eating white rice, a can of corn niblets, and some pepper. Goodness, I feel like making some rice right now just thinking about it. *stomach grumbles*
This has been a production of Traveling to Teens.

4 comments:

  1. Great review questions! I love J.A.'s bio; so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, great interview with Jon. I'm excited to see how the rest of the tour will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview with the author ^^

    ReplyDelete