Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters

My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters by Sydney Salter (April 1st 2009—Sandpiper)

Grade: 4.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “It’s the end of junior year, and summer is about to begin. The Summer of Passion, to be exact, when Jory Michaels plans to explore all the possibilities of the future--and, with any luck, score a boyfriend in the process. But Jory has a problem. A big problem. A curvy, honking, bumpy, problem in the form of her Super Schnozz, the one thing standing between Jory and happiness. And now, with the Summer of Passion stretched before her like an open road, she's determined for Super Schnozz to disappear. Jory takes a job delivering wedding cakes to save up for a nose job at the end of the summer; she even keeps a book filled with magazine cutouts of perfect noses to show the doctor. But nothing is ever easy for accident-prone Jory--and before she knows it, her Summer of Passion falls apart faster than the delivery van she crashes.”

Review: So I heard several different takes on this book. Was okay, was not that good, was amazing! I happen to be in the latter class. Sydney Salter made me laugh, cry, and smile throughout the entire process.

Jory was relatable in the sense that every teen has self-confidence issues. I know I do. So it was a relief to find one that a problem with herself that was not so outlandish. A nose. Simple, but effective. What she does she solve this problem made me cry my freaking eyes out. She has this entire notebook titled “Nice Nose Notebook”, an ideal process where after having a plastic surgery she’ll be more loved. Self-confidence issues. Every teens and/or adults have them. Unloved. A flaw.

Gideon was the comic relief. He made me laugh (out loud). Smile. Sigh. And cross my fingers that he and Jory will end up together. The perfect Yin to her Yang (cheesy I know), that helped her realize that she is fine the way she is.

The friends that Jory has were pitiful though at times. Non-empathic, selfish, and hateful. To be mindful of the different scenarios, the ups and downs of each of the girls lives, I will let it slide...a bit. Some parts are more touching than others.

Overall: Stealing this from Jason Mraz’s CD title “We sing. We dance. We Steal Things.” Actually after thinking it over, that has nothing to do with the book…

Cover C+
Not a really big fan of the cover.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting read :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool review, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiyah, I want to read this!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Yan you're gone to the dark side! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the middle of this book. I have to say I really hate her friend Megan >_<

    Love the review. It makes me laugh haha.

    ReplyDelete