Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Brownies: Play With Your Food!

I'm not in a book reviewing mood lately so I've been doing everything aside from blogging at this point including, but not excluding, baking. Today I made brownies. Sorta. Turned out to have a texture almost cake-like. Anyhow here's the recipe:





1 cup butter
1 3/4 cup white sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
(but you might want to decrease 4 eggs to 3 eggs to make the brownies thicker)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. You can either grease the pan or do what I do: cover the entire pan in aluminium foil. It saves the trouble of cleaning up the pan later on.
  3. Melt 1 cup butter either directly in a saucepan or use a double boiler method (bowl above of boiling water in a pan. Remove from the bowl from heat
  4. Mix together sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Combine the mixture into the melted butter.
  5. Now mix cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder in another bowl. Slowly pour and mix that into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture.
  6. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
  8. Test if it is done by sticking a toothpick in the center and a couple of other places of the brownies. If it comes out clean every time it's done; if there are some residue left when you pull it out put it back in the oven for a few minutes.
Now here's the thing: I don't own chocolate syrup (family isn't big on chocolate). So instead I used some leftover chocolate frosting mix I made a few weeks ago. The frosting consisted of confectionery sugar, melted milk chocolate, milk, and butter. Sugar and chocolate for the taste; milk for the consistency; and butter for the shine. Now the frosting is actually a solid when it's room temperature and I had pebble-like frosting which I crushed and sprinkle over brownies:

Then I decided to melt the remains left in the microwave and pipe them on the brownies:

I did a criss cross approach--it's what came to mind first:

But I wasn't done yet. I have a large block of chocolate in my fridge that I like to store just in case. I shaved some chocolate with a cheese grater to make curls (the bigger the hole, the curlier the curls).


When cutting brownies, run the knife under some warm water first then cut. It's supposed to serve 32 but eh.

P.S. Carol, if you're reading this I'll try to send you some.

11 comments:

  1. Yummmmmm! I've only tried Brownies once. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My offer of $0.75~$1 still stands. 8D
    large block* of chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I love brownies. If you ever made me some I'd love you forever! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish! Lol, we are both in a non-blogging mood huh? XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they look so delicious. I can never resist brownies, they're like my soul-food, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! I'm not a big brownie fan, but those look absolutely delicious!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's no "trying to send me some". You HAVE to send me brownies! ;P








    (Totally kidding. If you can't, it's fine. I won't send Sharon's zombie kittehs after you.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH RIGHT your family isn't big on chocolate. You had COCO powder, and chocolate frosting, as well as a HUGE HUGE block of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's actually all my stuff that I smuggle into the house.

    ReplyDelete