Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shadow Bound

Shadow Bound by Erin Kellison

Source: ARC from Dorchester Publishing

Grade: 1.8 stars out of 5

Age Group: 18+

Oh books that I decide to take a blind shot at because of blurbs—never again. Erin Kellison’s Shadow Bound is what one might call intense, captivating, and exciting if you skim…a giant chunk of the novel. While the idea of Death (Shadowman, the Reeper, whatever you want to call him because he has a bajillion nicknames) fathering a child is…unique, it holds no substance or any strength of credibleness. What sets the tone of the novel was the prologue, this WTF mess.

A short recap of the prologue/synopsis of story: Death falls in love with a woman named Kathleen who has been sick, deadly sick, in and out. On a visit, Death appears before Kathleen and they said ‘to the heck with it’ and did “it”. Death has no real shape, but Kathleen envisions him as a man—strong and well formed if you catch my drift. (This is the part where I ask how does she know the image of a male anatomy because she is the one that creates Death’s appearance.) But by committing this action, Death inversely “parted the veils between life and death” and “Chaos escaped and took root in the mortal world” (Kellison, 314, ARC). Kathleen dies shortly after the birth of their child, Talia—half human and half-whatever you want to call it—oh! Kellison calls her part fae (whatever that means) so she’s able to hide herself in the darkness kind of like a curtain.

We’re now in the present and there are a bunch of supernatural, dead, vampire-like creeps who suck people’s souls (the last part totally reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds [sorry, was deathly bored that weekend morning]). Segue, a group trying to tame this group and pretty much finding a way to destroy them because bullets or fire doesn’t work, is run and created by Adam whose own brother has turned into one of those soul-sucking evil bastards.

Really the entire thing does not sound bad at all. It’s just the execution of the book that had me a little displeased. Fine, a LOT displeased. I found the novel to be dragged, beaten, and locked in an old cellar to be fermented. It seemed as though the novel went ‘round in circles going nowhere until finally a swarm of people (bacteria) pops up and speeds things along. Way too fast in comparison to the little development that occurred in the beginning half of the novel. Somewhere in that time Adam and Talia falls in love though I would just like to call it lust. I read in another review that that relationship was the strongest part in the novel—well not for me it wasn’t. My favorite part was when they broke out the guns.

There’s a lot of dying, killing, running around. There are a lot of sexual tensions. There’s a lot of money being spent and I’m wondering how much money Adam has because he’s funding Segue on this own with full-time employees and scientists! Then there’s a whole lot of WTF, huh, and oh-kayyyyyy’s.

P.S. Shadow Bound book is awfully tiny. It has the thickness of my pinky finger nail or a water bottle cap.

CymLowell

9 comments:

  1. I have never left a comment, but I love your blog. Thanks for being honest and saving me the trouble of picking something like this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carrie--yay! thanks Carrie for the comment :D I love how certain book reviews draw certain readers out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh. How very disappointing. Thanks for the honest review, Shadow Bound sounds rather terrible! At least I can scratch it off my wishlist - my TBR shelves will be pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death also fathers a child in Amber Benson's "Death's Daughter" and the book was so bad that not only did I not finish it, I HAD to stop reading it because it was giving me nightmares about how bad it was. Ugh.

    I'm staying away from Death and his children because it obviously never goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this. It sounds rather interesting. You know how some books are so bad, you want to read them simply for that reason? That's how I feel about this one. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I am reading this right now and so far the story has engaged me. I'm rather picky, especially with the level of writing (which is why I avoid anything Stephanie Meyer writes). I

    tend to gravitate toward florid, poetic styles since they take after my own. The writing's better than average, maybe a little verbose in some areas, but Kellison invokes some nice imagery, sensuality. I like darker, erotic stories though, so...*shrugs*

    To each their own. I'm sure some of the books you think are paragons of literature I would skim with raised eyebrows. A good story is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked it. Some of the imagery and concepts were rather original and I had fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED this book. I couldn't put it down. The only thing I agree with is the romance and love aspect of the book. Tali and Adam's relationship was horribly built and it was ALL lust. I am definitely reading the second book.

    ReplyDelete