Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

Source: ARC from Sourcebooks Fire

Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5

Similar to: Twenty Boy Summer

Mia has always loved the summers spent with her cousin at the beach of their summer house in the Hamptons. But this summer everything changes when her cousin has transformed into this different person. She and her sister has gotten closer, she now drinks and does drugs, and calling her mother a hypocrite. Mia finds solace in the ocean; the one thing that Mia can count on to remain the same. But during of her nightly escapes to the ocean she runs into Simon, the boy who’s family is renting a house for the summer (something that’s frowned up in her cousin’s circle of friends). Now Mia lives in two worlds: daylight and nighttime. The two worlds finally collide in an explosion of emotional highs, but deadly lows.

The Summer of Skinny Dipping takes a while to get comfortable in mostly because Simon does not appear until later in the novel. While sweet romance is the most prominent in the book, it also deals with grief, finding oneself, and even abuse. It is both a heartwarming yet heartbreaking read that will leave most readers pleased.

However I found myself not liking many of the characters in The Summer of Skinny Dipping. I guess for me it’s because I know certain like that—people who pretend to be someone they aren’t, trying to help but just making things worse, and the liars—and have been on the blunt end of the force. So why they might have motive behind each action and a reasonable excuse, it doesn’t make them likable.

Overall: The Summer of Skinny Dipping stops short from reaching that level of excellence I was hoping.

Cover B

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good story -- and I'm loving that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pan, you won my competition for A Little Wanting Song. If you email me I'll send you a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i meant to say Yan - I'm so sorry. I have a friend called Pan and I got confused. :)

    ReplyDelete