Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Reckoning (Rant)

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Source: Personal

Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5

In this final installment of the New York Times’ Bestseller, The Reckoning will have its readers’ pulse racing in this rush to the finish line. Chloe, Derek, Simon, and Tori are still escaping from Edison Group and yada yada yada. Let’s get to the juicy part: they run, they get caught (of course), kick-butting ensues and happy…ending? Before we talk about the ending let’s discuss the joy ride getting there.

What I loved from the two prequels—The Summoning and The Awakening—are still there thankfully. The Reckoning was fast paced occurring in about a week’s timeslot with enough ghost, demons, and werewolf Changings to last for the next several months until I start foaming for the next book by Armstrong. The fight scenes are detailed and more are easy to follow that is until the scene has about 50 billijian people in it and everyone is trying to kill each other. But other than that, we’re good.

There are several twists in the book some make me gasp, some make me gleeful, some make me give the book the stink-eye (really though, really!?), but I’m general happy with them. Though if Armstrong would clarify and explain some aspects of the twist in the novel I’ll be SUPER-happy.

Thus draws to the conclusion, a shake-the-book conclusion because I need more! I need more answers, I need more closure, but I ultimately need a solid end to a SERIES. If it were a standalone book with some slight details taken away, heck I would have taken the ending with stride, but as a series ending it lacks so very much. Whatever happened to them?

And then I find out that Armstrong has this new series/trilogy: The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1), which just makes me tilt my head and quickly clamor up my seat to read all that I can about it. From the FAQs:
Will any of the Darkest Powers characters appear in this trilogy?

Kelley intends to join the two groups of characters, but that won’t happen until at least the last book in this trilogy.
Oh my God *pulls hair*. So Darkness Rising will feature another group of experiments by the Edison Group and will not feature Chloe or Derek until the last installment of that trilogy.

Cover B

P.S. Are Armstrong's adult paranormal series any good? I need more of her books (as a poor substitution of me already missing Derek and Chloe and the gang).

6 comments:

  1. Her adult urban fantasy series (Women of the Otherworld) is set in the same world and has some overlapping characters with the Darkest Powers series. I fell in love with Armstrong after reading Bitten, the first book in her adult series. The writing is pretty much the same, except the romantic relationships are more mature and the characters are older. The set up is similar to how the two YA trilogies are connected in that the whole series revolves around a bunch of connected characters but the conflicts and narrators change in different books. You'll often see the main character of a previous book involved in the plot of the next character's story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Bitten, but it wasn't for me. I prefer The Summoning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this series, but do agree about the ending. I'm super excited about her bringing the characters back in the ending of the next series though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read Bitten and it was okay. I really couldn't get into the YA series at all. I'd say skip her adult series. There are better ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated this series so I never went past the first book, but I did love the first few books in her adult series. I started it when it first came out many moons ago. Bitten and Stolen are the best, the rest sort of meh in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the series too, though I was dissapointed about the love story and would have been happier if she'd stuck to the action/thriller aspect. I've linked to your review here: http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/2010/05/reckoning-book-8-of-canadian-author.html on my review of the same.

    ReplyDelete