Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Manga: Sukitte Ii Na Yo

I have come to terms that it is impossible for me to post book reviews 7 times a week. It just is...impossible. First, I can't read that fast. Second, I am so not motivated to write that many reviews. Third, my attention span will not cooperate I guarantee. So instead I'm hoping to review 'novels' 4-5 times a week; 1 manga a week; and a spontaneous something post on Saturday. First off we have:

Sukitte Ii Na Yo by Hazuki Kanae

Reviewing: Volumes 1-3
Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance, Slice of Life
Age Group: 16+
Plot: 3.8
Art: 4
Characters: 3.8
This title is currently not available in the US at the moment, but foreign countries do check!

Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without friends. One day, she side-kicks a popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, because of a misunderstanding when his friend flips her skirt. But for some reason it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they’re friends. Mei is shocked, but starts to open up to the idea.

The beginning of the series is rather unrealistic. Someone drop kicks you and you somehow like them? But I guess it comes down to it being a "shoujo" manga: hot, popular guy falls in love with awkward social outcast girl. Even so I'm addicted to this manga.

This is like Twilight; it is not the most unique or literary stimulating book/manga, but it's a guilty pleasure. Things that make you go "awhhhh", cooing, sighing, silly grin and whatnot. This is first love and free-falling. There are chapters where love can take you to extremes. In one case a girl loses weight too fast and has body scars to prove it--because of love--a rejection. Another chapter was of a person who substituted sex* for love (a little Florentino from Love in the Time Cholera I see). Many situations it is a blindsight--without seeing what's right in front of you. Then again I could be reading far too into this.

The drawings show the characters lean, elongated, and disproportional. However, like the plotline--it's addicting. Oh! It's like Tim Burton's movies. The clay dolls are thin with large hands :)

Overall: It's hard to review a manga when you really don't want to spoil anybody, but any shojuo fans do try this!

*I don't recall any explicit, explicit scenes though it does suggest them. I think there is also nudity?

2 comments:

  1. Magna Mondays! Whoop! My kids and DH love Magna (I'm also a closet reader). Basically though, most of them are unrealistic and oh so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH EM GEE, I loveee manga!

    I will definitely add this to my wishlist as shojo is my favorite kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete