Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Guardian

The Guardian by Joyce Sweeney (March 31st 2009—Henry Holt)

Grade: 2 stars out of 5

Summary: “Hunter has never had anyone to look out for him. His mother gave him away when he was young, he’s never known his father, and his foster mother leaves a lot to be desired in the mothering department. So when a mysterious, benevolent force suddenly starts coming to his aid, Hunter doesn’t know what to believe. Could he really have a guardian angel? Hunter so badly wants someone to care that he’s willing to take a leap of faith, and more. But when he finally learns the truth about his angel, he’ll have to decide whether it’s the best thing that ever happened to him or the worst.”

Review: The Guardian actually surprised me a bit. I was going in thinking that I will forever curse Sharon when she told me to request this book from the publishers instead of Also Known as Harper. So when it finally arrived, I was more upset. Why? Because the ARC cover was so so grainy, that my inner cover whore screamed no! But I finished it and I was slightly happy.

It was about two-thirds into the book that I really started to get into the book. That was when the emotional high of Hunter finally reached its peak. Where the frustration, and so-called guardian, all came crashing down. It was exhilarating to finally see Hunter fighting back. Always the quiet and fearful one, Hunter defends himself against the one thing that held him back, his foster mother. So applause goes to Hunter for finding his hidden strength.

The characters were a bit off. I think the author portrayed the opposite ends of the spectrum at times. Either you’re the wonderful goody little two shoes, or the badass villain. It was, however, the emotional appeal that was the most compelling. The heartache of never truly fitting it, feeling like utter crap being passed around through families. The unknown of your actual birth parents like the thought of you being so unbearable that even your own flesh and blood cannot stand the sight of you. So the thoughts that the story provoked were I think were the story’s best strong point.

There were many scenes that were choppy and discombobulated and the characters made this story somewhat unlikable.

The ending was slightly disappointing, however. I felt it ended too perfectly. I also felt that Hunter’s response to his father, the guardian, was odd. At one point he was glad to be within his care, but then he does a complete 180 when he tells the cop that his father kidnapped him and he’s a murderer. Completely out of nowhere.

Overall: A library borrow if you are interested

Cover C+

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard about this book. The summary doesn't call me, so yeah, maybe a library borrow like you've said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I requested this book from In Group and was sad to see the grainy ARC cover too. I haven't started it yet.

    ReplyDelete