Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Know It’s Over

I Know It’s Over by C.K. Kelly Martin (September 23rd 2008—Random House)

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “PURE. UNPLANNED. PERFECT. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then, weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant. Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.”

Review: As many of stated before I Know It’s Over is an explosion of heartbreak and losing yourself in someone else's shoes. The simple tale of a surprise and the way many teenagers now face. In this heartfelt novel, C.K. Kelly Martin explored the wonders of the human relationship and letting it all go.

Nick was the perfect star in this novel. He was the typical boy with the typical hormones. He gave great emotions and great reactions to certain events. The way C.K. wrote through the male perspective was flawlessly done.

Besides Nick, almost every single character was amazing. I could distinguish each one from the other. I felt a connection to each and every one of them.

The family dynamics were compelling. I think the awkwardness in some situations with Nick’s family members as well as Nathan’s or Sasha’s, were true to their characters. It also gave more depth to the persona of each character. Why do they act a certain way, who do they have to gain respect from, and to please.

Juggling family and friends, beginning new relationships and ending the old ones, both in love and sports, C.K. creates a harmonic balance. The way one thing is being affected by the other, and their decisions from that and the emotions brought forth.

I love the way the story was set up. The big opening, the huge shock, which I thought was an ingenious place to put it. Pretend to be in Nick’s shoes, would he not feel the same shock as the reader does when they hear the news? Not only does it catch the readers’ attention, but it also makes the reader want more. Then the story moves on to how this came to be, the pregnancy. I felt that the relationship between Sasha and Nick was realistic to the dot. And the ending. The last few pages were golden to me. That was where I felt Nick finally understood the situation and let go all his feeling—where he cried, where his inner walls finally collapsed.

But I felt that it dragged on a bit towards the middle and some scenes were not needed.

Overall: I Know It’s Over was a beautifully told story about a common issue nowadays. She delivered in every single aspect and obstacle thrown her way, conquering it all gracefully.

Cover C+

7 comments:

  1. I really want this, but I can't find it anywhere around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this one and absolutely LOVED it! Thanks for the review, I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, the ending sounds sad! I think I'm going to buy this book when the PB comes out. Or should I buy it as HB? ...I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -wantwantwant-

    I'm (not so) patiently waiting for the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... I think I saw this somewhere before, but can't place where. Sounds like a decent read! i'll have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should really say WHY you gave it 3.7 . . .

    I thought this one was fantastical. Reallllly good.

    I suggest getting the HB just because I love the cover more on the HB instead of the PB.

    K.

    ReplyDelete