Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kissing Booth

Kissing Booth by Lexie Hill (January 1st 2009—Point)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Lisi has never been kissed. Sure, she could practice on her guy friend, Johnny, but he’s like a brother to her! So when it comes time to pick a theme for the Spring Carnival booth, Lisi suggests a "Kissing Booth," hoping it will give her the chance to get a cheek-kiss from her crush, the handsome, popular Brett. But on the day of the carnival, as rumors fly and kisses are stolen, Lisi discovers that the person she should really kiss may have been right in front of her all along.”

Review: Kissing Booth is not something to be taken critically—more of a fun, little whimsical read.

However I do have to point out that I had issues with some things. Mostly on the characters friendship wise. So Lisi has two best girl friends, Mo and Bella. They both annoy me to no end at one point or another.

Mo for instance was Lisi’s best, I mean best!, friend since childhood. After coming back from Paris after spring break, her entire appearance changes. But that does not necessary change her personality. A quarter-way into the book, she completely ditches Lisi. Why? We’ll find out later on, like later on. Does it justify her decision wholly especially since she ends up leaving Lisi for the arch nemesis, the Fly girls (aka the Dance Team)? I am leaning towards ninety percent no. I guess this is all based on what you characterize as friendship, to what extreme or clarity should you expect from close friends. The truth is not needed all the time, but a slight indication would be nice. Remember, this is all my opinion.

Bella to me was more of user than an actual friend. She practically used Lisi to achieve her goals, never mind what Lisi thinks. She (Lisi) needs to grow a backbone and say no for once. It is fine to say no since it is your heinie that is on the line.

Aside from that and the small insignificant details, Kissing Booth a mind-numbing book because it is such a simple book. The plot line was unique particularly the way the author connects all the pieces together. It felt realistic in the sense that I know these types of people. Lexie Hill captured high school drama to the tee.

Overall: Cute and funny at times, but nothing extraordinary.

Cover B+
Once again, cute

6 comments:

  1. It sounds fun but simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard about that one before but it sure looks funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was cute but not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is just NO, but it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaaaaan, but I love the cover! :) It sounds like the abcs of kissing boys, which I think you did not find extraordinary either.

    While the kissing booth makes an appealing story, I don't think I would ever participate in one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the cover but I dont think I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete