Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Faust

Another Faust by Dina and Daniel Nayeri (August 25th 2009—Candlewick)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish - only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city’s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor’s extraordinary “gifts.”

But as the students claw their way up - reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty - the side-effects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most
unforgivable sins.

At once chilling and wickedly satirical, this contemporary reimagining of the Faustian bargain is a compelling tale of ambition, consequences, and ultimate redemption.”

Review: Another Faust was an interesting read that dealt with what you’re willing give up to have your wish come true. Selling your soul to the devil in a pretty dress, living only to feed off of others, there’s only so much one can do.

What I love the most was the concept of the book. The separate point of views that somehow twine the entire novel. I found each character exuberating whether they spoke volumes or their actions did for them. I especially enjoy the little paragraphs before each chapter talking of Vileroy’s past conquests—the one about about Truman. Ha! Cracked me up.

Victoria and Valentin were the clear cut pure evils of the bunch. More addicted than a box full of donuts to the power that Vileroy gave them. Bice, Christian and Belle were more of softer hearts although Belle showcased this more towards the end.

I thought the authors did a magnificent job at describing the powers, the consequences, the manipulation. But I did find it a bit tedious at times. There were more drama filled scenes and heavy detailed parts that came to par with Eragon.

I still have the trouble with the ending though.

**SPOILER**
I don’t understand how Bice’s 1 language of all the languages defeated Vileroy. I mean did she just cursed her out and walked out? Was there a significance?
**END SPOILER**

Overall: Another Faust proved to have an interesting plot but the heavy descriptions took away some of the splendor.

Cover B


THIS WAS A TRAVELING TO TEENS TOUR

8 comments:

  1. Hmm, good review. I'll have to check this one out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading this, I love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the spoiler. I guess since Vileroy is some kind of devil, and the first language is the language of angels, that would have something to do with the whole weakening Vileroy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A box of donuts is hard to resist! I don't know what Victoria and Valentin were thinking, but clearly Madame Vileroy is not a delicious donut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I see why you didn't like it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping that this book could get a better rating from you. But well, it sounds so good for me. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spolier alert for those of you that havn't read. In the end what stopped Vileroy was the truth and honesty. The way she appeared to work was through twisted words and usually crooked schemes by having the language of the angels (assuming devil people do have there counter part) used it is saying we are above you. Because whenever one child would feel guilt and be upset Vileryo would basically tell them you can do whatever you want if you don't get caught.
    At least thats what I think.

    You did get the impression that Valentin had gone mad - he wasn't by any means the hero of the book before he got the white room but it destroyed him. I personally couldn't find him evil to the core because in several of his solo scenes he may have manipulated people but he wasn't manipulating them in a wrong fashion (If you know what I mean). Kind of feel sorry for his character he made a mistake got too deep, did too much and lost his mind.

    I really liked this book and am itching to read more (but I dunno where)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could finish reading it.
    *spoiler?*
    I got to the part about Belle being offerred more power if she did a few things. Then I put the book down on my desk -its a library book- and then my friend came over. After she left I couldn't find the book... i kinda started crying -i don't like paying 40 dollars for books at the library that I lost (and I'm not sure I lost it) and I hate never knowing what happens in the end-

    ReplyDelete