Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, August 14, 2009

I Can’t Keep My Own Secret: Six-word Memoirs

I Can’t Keep My Own Secret: Six-word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “True tales of love, loss, good friends, and bad hair days filled Not Quite What I Was Planning, the New York Times bestselling first book in the Six-Word Memoir series—an international phenomenon. Some of the very best were by teens, so the editors decided to create a book written entirely by those bold, brash truth-tellers. From cancer to creativity, prom dates to promiscuity, and breaking hearts to breaking laws, the memoirs in this collection reveal that often the youngest writers have the most fascinating stories to tell.”

Review: This book is a collection of humor, sass, and anguish. We start off with a 6 word memoir by none other than Ernest Hemingway “For sale: baby shoes, never worn”. It was a perfect starting point and a challenge to every other teen to mimic Hemmingway’s short story. How much of the truth can you hide in just 6 words? A lot it seems.

Contemplated joining the circus. Foolishly chose college—Sally C.

My dad has more MySpace friends—Daryle J.

These are just two 6-word memoirs that popped out for me. This book has something for everyone with such a diverse voice of which hundreds (800 I believe) teens spoke out and gave their life story. Teens across the country can relate to at least one memoir out of the many. You may see both familiar and unfamiliar names as you embark on a read of their worlds, their life stories, their 6 word memoirs.

The famous teens gave some of the uninspiring meant to be inspiring 6 words that elicited a yawn. I wanted something more powerful but what can you do. Luckily it was just a mere few pages with the rest as mesmerizing as can be.

Also our very own Khy is in the book! That is a definite reason to pick this book when it releases in September!

Overall: Addicting and with such a short read, this book packs a punch.

Cover C-
Meh.

9 comments:

  1. I'M the reason to pick it up? xD hah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khy was in the book? I never knew, you're awesome girl! Hm I want to read this one, the idea of 6 words is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. I don't like the cover. I think they could have done better but I'll have to give this a try when it comes out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the review!! And I love your blog. I nominated you for an award.

    http://booksaremybff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read this one. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg khy is in a book? what does hers say?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know Hemingway wrote that six word story on a dare? One day someone was making fun of his minimalist style and said that he couldn't tell a short story with 10 words. Hemingway responded I can do it in six. And the rest is history.

    Okay, enough from the English major. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read it!! :D It's so cool to read books like these. It's like getting a taste of everyone's life :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I read your review her and on goodreads and I would like to say thanks for saying mine popped out! If I could make a request though could you correct the spelling in my name to Daryle? If not that's fine it doesn't truly matter.

    ReplyDelete