Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Traveling to Teens: Jackson Pearce

Jackson Pearce is twenty-five years old and currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with a slightly cross-eyed cat and a lot of secondhand furniture. She recently graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in English and a minor in Philosophy. She auditioned for the circus once, but didn't make it; other jobs she’s had include obituaries writer, biker bar waitress, and receptionist. In addition, Jackson coaches both colorguard and winterguard at a local high school.

Jackson began writing when she got angry that the school librarian couldn’t tell her of a book that contained a smart girl, horses, baby animals, and magic. Her solution was to write the book herself when she was twelve. Her parents thought it was cute at first, but have grown steadily more concerned for her ever since.
1. There are many butterflies on the ARC cover of AS YOU WISH. Do you think the butterflies symbolize anything? What animal do you think best describes the word "wish"?
I think the butterflies were chosen for their whimsy-- I suppose they also sort of encompass the word "wish" in a lighthearted, magical kind of way. Though personally, I always think of wish=horses, personally, because of that "If wishes were horses" poem.

2. Jinn has the ability to roam around as he please while Viola decides on a wish. Would you prefer to be a free-bound genie or a lamp-contained genie? I mean you could snaz the lamp up however way you want and can just snooze while you wait.
I guess I'd have to say free-bound, because I don't think I could handle being cooped up like this, but that WOULD mean sacrificing any sort of "home." That's part of what Jinn goes through in the book-- he's essentially homeless, but via Viola he has a home, in a sense...am I giving stuff away? Maybe I should not talk about the book. I accidently gave away the ending of LOOKING FOR ALASKA yesterday, I don't want to keep being Sally Spoiler.

3. Genies grant wishes. Ifrits help things move along quicker even at a more harmful cost. Are you more suited to being a genie or an ifrit?
I'd actually say I-- and most people-- are more Ifrit than wish granter. The Ifrit aren't *bad*, they're simply protecting the people they care about. I think I'm much more likely to do that than grant the wishes of strangers :)

4. Aside from being a writer, do you see yourself as a painter (like Viola) or an actor (somewhat similar to Lawrence)?
I think I'm probably more of an actor than a painter-- I can't really draw all to well, but really enjoy things like videos, public speaking, and performing.

5. On page 51 you seem to poke fun of Keanu Reeves for being a bad actor. Do you have a favorite actor/actress?
I mean, seriously. The guy is just awful. But no, I honestly don't have a favorite actor/actress-- I'm more invested in the movies themselves (from a story point of view) than who is appearing in them. That said, I have a serious weakness of romantic comedies and star-vehicle teen movies (Hello, Hannah Montana: The Movie!), so perhaps my taste in movie-plots isn't that good either?

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the guard! Another marching band sorta-kinda fellow geek! (I say sort of because I know guard can do their own competitions at, like, high schools that were not mine, for example.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview. I like how the questions are different and Jackson's answers are really truthful and fun. But my fav has to be the part of her getting angry at the school library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Love the different questions and her answers. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete