Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can’t Have

Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can’t Have by Allen Zadoff (September 8th 2009--Egmont)

Grade: 4.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Life used to be so simple for Andrew Zansky—hang with the Model U.N. guys, avoid gym class, and eat and eat and eat. He’s used to not fitting in: into his family, his sports-crazed school, or his size 48 pants.

But not anymore. Andrew just met April, the new girl at school and the instant love of his life! He wants to find a way to win her over, but how? When O. Douglas, the heartthrob quarterback and high school legend, saves him from getting beaten up by the school bully, Andrew sees his chance to get in with the football squad.

Is it possible to reinvent yourself in the middle of high school? Andrew is willing to try. But he’s going to have to make some changes. Fast.

Can a funny fat kid be friends with a football superstar? Can he win over the Girl of his Dreams? Can he find a way to get his Mom and Dad back together?

How far should you go to be the person you really want to be?

Andrew is about to find out.”

Review: Can we just say how funny this book is? This is laugh out loud, rolling on the carpet floor getting a 3rd degree burn. Allen Zadoff gave the perfect balance of an emotional wrenching book and a hilarious outspoken book.

While this book is more towards the male audience with talks of football, blenching, how to lay a girl, there’s a bit for us ladies as well…that is if you enjoy cooking…or eating actually.

Andrew, Andy, is not the fattest kid in school but the second which makes it way worst. He tries but falls at trying to find his place in school. He’s kind good at being a diplomat in the Model UN but when April catches Andy’s eyes he’s determined to reach it to the top of the high school pyramid—football player. Which it turns out, Andy’s actually good at. But Andy can only pick one side, the Model UN and his skinny best friend Ethan or the football players and April the cheerleader. Andy embarks on a journey of self finding, and weight issues that seems to be a selective generic trait in his family.

This book gives the reader an addiction that you cannot be contained until the entire novel is devoured. It touches the bases of weight issues, family problems, little sister phobia, high school crushes, high school lessons all with an incredulous feeling that Andy cannot believe he’s actually popular…sort of. While Andy doesn’t lose like 100 pounds in the book, he becomes healthier with the help of football and learns to use his largeness to the fullest potential.

The family issues are the result of a nasty divorce from an equally nasty affair. Andy tries to reconnect with the dad and through football he does. His father admits that whichever he chooses, to quit or to continue, he’s proud of Andy.

Andy learns that to not put so much faith on just one man especially when it comes to love as he finds out with April…and O. Douglass. He grows, develops, understands, and lives on.

Overall: An amazing novel that tackles the issue of weight like never before.

Cover C+

7 comments:

  1. I picked up a copy of this one at ALA and it was immediatly snatched up by one of my teen boys at work! I'm glad to see it's a good read-it sounded really fun. Great review and I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really great book. I need some more funny books after I finish re-reading How I Found the Perfect Dress by Maryrose Wood. ><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. It looks like it might be fun for both guys and girls. Love the cover, too.

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I'm finding that I am enjoying more and more YA books written by men. Don't know why. Funnier? More poignant? Who knows.

    But I will have to keep my eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read your whole review because I have this in my pile to read and don't want to spoil it but I'm thrilled to see you gave it 4 stars and that I peeked that it's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm even more excited to read this! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this book! I'm really interested in reading more books from with a male main character. And I love giggling while reading <3

    ReplyDelete