Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, August 24, 2009

I Am A Cover Whore

The first to do when you have an addiction is to admit your problem: I am a cover whore. So of course I went out of my way to get the UK/Aus. cover of Graceling by Kristin Cashore because how can you not--that cover is amazing! So I accidentally got two copies, the UK version and the Australian version. See I was planning to get rid of one but then I noticed that the two are slightly different.


Notice that front is nearly identical. That's what I expected from the pictures that Amazon UK and Amazon Au showed.


But now notice the spine. See how the UK has the full silhouette of Katsa? The Australian edition is just a cropped version of the front cover. I much prefer the UK's spine. It seems more complete like they meant to that instead of a "opps" moment that the Australian version gives off.


Now see how the back is different? The UK has the snow on the bottom and more definition. It gives more perspective from the clouds. The Australian one is more of zoom in section from the UK. Upper right hand corner, zoom in and enlarge.

So overall the UK edition wins hands down. Too bad the one I have the spine is cracked.

14 comments:

  1. i love the cover - its just gorgeous! the one for Fire is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover, its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the UK one too, mainly 'cause of the extra snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these covers better than the American one. They both win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for cover whores. we welcome you with open arms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UK version is definitely good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the girl on these covers, but I hate the big cheesy snowflakes. The US Graceling cover is my favorite because of the colors and design with the dagger and text. I also love how the back cover shows both of her eyes. The Danish cover is my second favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Yan. How I feel your pain, for I too, am a major cover whore. For that reason I got the UK edition of KNIFE by R.J. Anderson and will be getting the US edition when it's out in PB.

    I am very, very tempted to buy the UK GRACELING as I am more in love with it than the US copy I currently have on my shelf.. but.. I already own it, what to do? I much prefer the UK cover for FIRE so I might just get both of them when it's out from amazon UK and then give my HC Graceling away to someone who desires it.

    Such a dilemma and such anguish over what to do just for a book cover! I can't read under these conditions! *holds hand to forehead and swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Cat,

    I also own GRACELING in the US edition. I only got the UK edition because I love the FIRE UK so much more than the US. Thusly I was required to acquire the UK GRACELING so it may match. I know your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, the UK version is gorgeous. I love looking at beautiful book covers, haha. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tsk tsk Yan, you make me want to have another copy of Gracelling. I have to admit though, the UK version is so damn gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now for something completely different...I gave you an award! Come stop by my blog, Strange & Random Happenstance to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like your US cover but I don't think the style suits the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - I never would have noticed! Also, I've nominated you for a blog award over here: http://feedyourimagination.blogspot.com/2009/08/so-many-awards-so-little-time.html

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete