Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, August 7, 2009

Give Up the Ghost

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe (September 15th 2009—Henry Holt)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Cass McKenna much prefers the company of ghosts over "breathers." Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable, and they know the dirt on everybody... and Cass loves dirt. She's on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of the poseurs in her school.

But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass's whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help him contact his recently deceased mother, and Cass reluctantly agrees.

As Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim's life, she's surprised to realize he's not so bad--and he needs help more desperately than anyone else suspects. Maybe it's time to give the living another chance...”

Review: This book was reached the expectations that I had only dreamed of. Give Up the Ghost was gripping page turner that left me salivating for more of Megan’s works.

Cass has a slight social problem. It might be because she can see and talk to ghosts and every time someone catches her doing it, she looks like a freak. Or it might be the fact that the ghosts like to gossip giving Cass plenty of justified ammo to take down these villains. But when Tim asks Cass if she can talk to his mother, whom happens to be dead, Cass is a bit weary because for one thing, how does he know that she can see the dead? We follow Cass as she tries to take a hold of her life before the ghosts once again and help Tim grasp the living world.

I enjoyed every last detail of Cass’s life. I love the ghost gossip and how every ghost is a unique individual. They all have their quirks and they all have their lovelier sides. The humor is there as well as the conflict of emotions.

Cass is a dynamic character with a cage around her heart to protect her of what happened in middle but she softens up and helps Tim who cannot let go of his mother. Both characters are equally strong as is the plot. There is a sprinkling of twists within the plotline.

The background information lacked in some areas however. I would have liked to read more of how Cass came to her powers, Paige’s reluctance to let go, Cass’s mother and father, and perhaps more of Tim’s family as well.

Overall: It was still a stunning debut!

Cover B+

23 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good! Good review.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been wondering about this book. Your review shed some light on it for me.

    I finally realized that it's not a beret on the girl's head on the cover, but a ghost hand whispering to her. I wonder what's wrong with my eye sight?

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAME complaints! I was like "where do these powers come from? Did I miss that part?" xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great read! The colours on the cover are nice, and it sounds pretty dishy! Sweet review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book! The cover looks cool...I'm sure it'll be an interesting read! Great review!!!

    Reggie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that's a ghost story more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I'm so glad you enjoyed this Yan! I'm very excited to read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds awesome! I'm so excited to pick this up =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

    I nominated you for an award:

    http://bookingthrough365.blogspot.com/2009/08/another-award-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! This one sounds really good and I hadn't heard of it until reading your review. Will have to add that to my wish list. Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see that you liked it! I can't wait to read it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow great review! This book is in my TBR pile- I'll definitely move it closer to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope there'll be like a sequel, or maybe a prequel of this book. Anyway I don't have many complaints, this one itself is great book already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dunno if this will still count (it's 7:11 pm in Hawai'i here) but wahhhh want to read this! I've entered so many contests but no success =(.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very jealous, I really want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to read this book.I love the cover and I haven't read that many ghost books yet, so this should be different and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds so good! I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am dying to read this "stunning debut"
    I love the whole concept of liking ghosts over "breathers" and what not....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really liked your review. Just makes me all the more anxious to read this book! I think that it sounds nice with the whole anti-society part. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has been on my wishlist since I first heard about it. Glad you liked it - can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review :) This book has been on my wishlist forever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm dying to read this book. I love the cover and any thing with ghosts in it must be great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to read this book so badly but I can't find it at any book stores I go too!
    D:

    ReplyDelete