Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Everafter

The Everafter by Amy Huntley (September 29th 2009—Balzer & Bay)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Madison Stanton doesn't know where she is or how she got there. But she does know this--she is dead. And alone, in a vast, dark space. The only company she has in this place are luminescent objects that turn out to be all the things Maddy lost while she was alive. And soon she discovers that with these artifacts, she can re-experience--and sometimes even change--moments from her life: Her first kiss. A trip to Disney World. Her sister's wedding. A disastrous sleepover.”

Review: The Everafter was a pleasant surprise. I seem to gravitate towards the book even after I finished.

The Everafter talks of the afterlife (hence the title) and what to expect. Despite the philosophical upbringings the book still manages to have the hidden sparkle of sweet, sad, and sultry. We follow Madison as journeys back to her life from age 4 to the infantile stage of goo-goo ga-ga to her last moments on earth.

We watch the progression of the relationship with her older sister. This is something all too knowing for me. At the age of 7 I was already threatening to chop my brother to pieces with me glaring at him at the couch, butcher knife in hand (no comment). But just like Madison whom at her later teens the relationship with her sister becomes gentler, I admit that my brother watches out for me. We argue less, fight (I really do mean like with pouches) less, and become better siblings.

Then we follow Maddy and Gabe as they fall in love. There seems to be more scenes of these two than most. Tender, sweet, and still managing to never overstep the boundary of being just too much.

The ending was weird for me though. I mean yes, I thought it was shocking, but it was this overly dramatic death that left me doubting if something like this can truly happen. The epilogue was a very nice touch though. One that answered a very important question: Boy or girl?

Like many others, the first person point of view is very unreliable as many questions are left unanswered. For example, who was the one that mangled Maddy’s cat? And who ratted Tammy out?

Overall: The Everafter was packed full of humor, anguish, and surprise.

Cover B-
Well I do love the idea I really don’t see the relation from the novel to it.

EDIT: Really? That's an orchid? Wow that totally flew over my head.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm interesting review. I just got a copy of this today for review. I'm looking forward to reading it though, the concept seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I didn't really like it that much. I think it was the jumping around that bugged me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked it. Great review. I'm not a huge fan of the cover either, but as for the relation to the novel, it's a pair of orchids, which if I remember right, was what she had in her hair when she met Gabe at the wedding? Something like that? I can't remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't the flowers on the cover the ones she wore in her hair at her sister's you know what...! That's what I instantly thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yes what Kelsey said! But I DO like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review - i'm looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. Too bad the cover hasn't got anything to do with the book-it's pretty.

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this gets a 4 than you're gonna love Before I Fall for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your review! This sounded interesting but I wasn't sure. I think I'll have to check this one out now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forwad to reading this one, Yan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy or girl? Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with everyone else. I want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still waiting to read it, but it looks good. (I didn't know the flowers on the cover were orchids either.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And yet another book I'm wanting!

    I love YA love stories. Can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete