Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sisters of Misery

Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall (August 1st 2008—Kensington)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “There are some girls who have everything...

She has the right clothes, the right friends, and the right last name, but fifteen-year-old Maddie Crane sometimes feels like an outsider in her clique in the wealthy, seaside town of Hawthorne, Massachusetts. And when her gorgeous, eccentric cousin Cordelia LeClaire moves to town, Maddie is drawn toward her ethereal, magical spirit and teeters even more toward the edge of her friends' tightly-knit circle...

Then there are the jealous ones...

Kate Endicott and the Sisters of Misery--a secret clique of the most popular, powerful girls in school--are less than thrilled by Cordelia's arrival. When Kate's on-again, off-again boyfriend Trevor takes an interest in Cordelia, the Sisters of Misery become determined to make her pay...

Now Maddie must choose between the allure and power of the Sisters of Misery and her loyalty to her beloved cousin. But she'll have to give up on ever fitting in and accept the disturbing truth about the town, her friends, her mysterious cousin, and even herself as she faces the terrifying wrath of the Sisters of Misery...”

Review: This book was beyond riveting. Intense, strong, and heart-pounding, Sisters of Misery will keep readers back-hunched and dying to read more. Megan Kelley Hall is an author worth watching out for and stalked for the next release.

Every single last character is a power house that demands attention. Each character is defined by a single word—Maddie the innocent one, Cordelia the wild one, Kate the evil one—but surprisingly each characters carries so much more than that. They have their faults, their secrets, and vulnerability—some showing more than others—but also the hidden face in the mirror.

Maddie the girl that followed the sisterhood in fear of the consequences should she take on a path to best defend her cousin against the Sisters. Maddie is one that desires the close-knit relationship that Cordelia has with her mother. Despite this jealousy Maddie turns to be Cordelia’s best friend. At times I wish that Maddie would stand up for both herself and Cordelia more but should it have been me, I would have backed away as well. I mean, seriously, Kate scares the crap out of me.

Kate, in my opinion, is freaking crazy. All I could think about is how can a girl like this exist? I swear someone should drop kick her to the floor and shove urine down her throat to see if she likes it. Disgusting.

Cordelia is almost the complete opposite of Maddie. Wild…unpredictable…with no boundaries. She is a girl that has that “X Factor”. Like both the girls and guys, I was infatuated and captivated by her.

I was enthralled and hanging off the edge of my seats with this book. Literally one of my books fell from my bookcase and I jumped.

It did seem odd that this book seem inclined to include urine in a lot of things…it added to the evil factor of Kate I must say though.

Overall: Highly impressed by this book!

Cover A
I love red heads and freckles. I always wanted some, too bad I’ll probably look like the devil’s spawn or some deranged clown if I do have that.

11 comments:

  1. I want to read this one, it looks sooo good!

    P.S.- It was published Aug. 1, 2008! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious how evil this Kate character is :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost bought this one at HPB but I hadn't seen any reviews on it. Maybe it's still there waiting for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool I bought this when it was released over a year ago but then my sister stole it, maybe now I will try to get it back. She liked it, but I don't always trust her taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! It's so pretty! I've always wanted a dabbling of freckles and red hair too...

    --Sharry

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Kate, in my opinion, is freaking crazy. All I could think about is how can a girl like this exist? I swear someone should drop kick her to the floor and shove urine down her throat to see if she likes it. Disgusting."

    Totally random thing to read in a review! I like it! :)

    I have to read this book now and see what the urine is all about. Totally beats the poop stories that I have to hear at work! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't sure about this book at first, but now I'll have to difinitely read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So this book is even better than I already thought it was. I want a copy now *pouts*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Thao. Steph REALLY wants to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *hides her freckles while commenting so Yan won't tackle her*

    I am so happy you loved this book and your review is just wonderfully written! I was floored by this novel last year and was so happy to have received it. It's one of my top 3 faves of 2008.

    Makes me happy to see others giving MKH the LOVE! :)

    ReplyDelete