Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Once A Witch

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough (September 14th 2009—Clarion)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Seventeen-year-old Tamsin Greene is the only non-magical member in a large coven of witches. Her mother can move at lightning speed. Her father can control the weather, and her sister can spin words into phrases so powerfully persuasive people are compelled to do as she wishes. As outcast in her own family, Tamsin spends most of her time at boarding school in New York City, as far from the world of witches as she can get.

But it isn’t far enough. When she agrees to help a handsome strange find a lost heirloom, the search quickly turns ominous—magically so. Soon, Tamsin is caught up in a centuries-old-conflict between her family and another, much sinister clan.

Can an ordinary teenage girl with no magical talent save her family of witches from powerful forces allied against them?”

Review: I wasn’t sure what I was expecting when Once a Witch landed in my hands. Did I think of bubbling cauldrons? Giant nose warts? Maybe….

Once a Witch was a magically delicious blend of romance, suspense, and fantasy. I practically gobbled this entire up in less than one sitting. That’s right, less than one. The book had to pried from my hands (with of course me leaving them a few bitemarks).

I’m a sucker for a love story, I admit it. So when you shove me a book about childhood love and cults I’m game. I love the relationship between Tasmin and Gabriel. More of a deep friendship than kissy kissy face, I found their bantering cute, their ease they have together charming, and the way they lean on one another without a pissy contest sweet.

The action was exhilarating as we raced through New York City to defeat a Knight from taking over the world! Okay this review sucks. I have no words. I can pretty much continue on with very vague details about how good this book was or I shall cut to the point and say: Read it. It’s very, very, very good. It’s fast, short, and you will demand more. A perfect set up to a sequel.

Overall: Read the bold print. Pick this book up!

Cover A-
I believe that this is a drawing (don’t quote me on this). Anyway I love the vibrancy of the colors and the details.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I think I'll have to pick up a copy - ha, maybe when I get to borders for the 2 for 3 deal :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bite marks? You and Finn have something in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the second great review of this book I read today! I'll have to read it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a fun review. It really was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only heard good things about this one. I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read this one. Sounds great! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this book, loved your review. And I think this is my favorite cover of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. This is one I'm wanting too! :)

    ReplyDelete