Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Viola in Reel Life

Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani (September 1st 2009—Harper Teen)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “I'm marooned.

Abandoned.

Left to rot in boarding school . . .

Viola doesn't want to go to boarding school, but somehow she ends up at an all-girls school in South Bend, Indiana, far, far away from her home in Brooklyn, New York. Now Viola is stuck for a whole year in the sherbet-colored sweater capital of the world.

Ick.

There's no way Viola's going to survive the year—especially since she has to replace her best friend Andrew with three new roommates who, disturbingly, actually seem to like it there. She resorts to viewing the world (and hiding) behind the lens of her video camera.

Boarding school, though, and her roommates and even the Midwest are nothing like she thought they would be, and soon Viola realizes she may be in for the most incredible year of her life.

But first she has to put the camera down and let the world in.”

Review: Viola in Reel Life surprised me by how much I enjoyed this book. By the first page I was hooked by the narration and detailed description by Trigiani. I honestly don’t know what sold me to the book. I mean the characters were good but not the oh my god version, the plotline was clean but not the oh my god version, so I’m thinking that hot damn, Adriana Trigiani can really sell it. Her voice was amazing; I was addicted to it like a bar of chocolate.

Humor, sass, and love are the combination to this book. It reminded a bit of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. We have the Latina, the artsy video girl, a combination of tall, blond, and beautiful with family troubles, and the athlete. It’s basically a sisterhood for these girls. Living together for a solid year can make that happen. I loved the girls separately and collectively. They each bring a sparkle out.

As for the video making I was pleasantly interested in the process and the special effects. I was more interested in the BFFAA (best friends forever and always) Andrew. Dare I say, they have some chemistry? Sadly the novel ended before anything happened. Jared on the other hand, the one that Viola actually dated for some time, is a prick. You just don’t know it yet, but he is. First he wraps you around his finger but being so amazing then poof.

I'm so excited about this new series!

Overall: Compelled by the presence of the voice.

Cover A
I must say I do like this cover. Love the pop of the yellow patent leather flats (quoted from book). Sense of fashion, check. Associated with the plotline, check.

6 comments:

  1. This was a really interesting review. I want to read it now! Question though - what colour is sherbet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this book around the blogging community for a while but it never intrigued me. Though now, after reading your review, I see what I was going to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start this book and it's good to know you gave it such good rating. I like the cover too, the shoes look great :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when it's the author's voice that draws you in. That's SKILL! And yes, the cover has great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I'd heard about this book before, but I didn't add it to my TBR pile until I read this review. (You sold me on the Traveling Pants comparison and your appreciation of Trigiani's writing skills.)

    ReplyDelete