Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Lost Sister

The Lost Sister by Megan Kelley Hall (August 1st 2009—Kensington)

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Sisters are born, not chosen. . .

Maddie Crane is grappling with the disappearance of Cordelia LeClaire, and trying to escape the grasp of The Sisters of Misery--an insidious clique of the school's most powerful girls, whose pranks have set off a chain of horrific events, and who have Maddie in their sights.

Beware the sister betrayed. . .

Now in a prestigious boarding school far away from her mysterious hometown of Hawthorne, Massachusetts, Maddie feels free from danger. But when an unmarked envelope arrives at her dorm containing a single ominous tarot card, Maddie realizes with terror that some secrets won't stay buried. Knowing she must return to Hawthorne--a town still scarred by the evil of the Salem witch trials--Maddie prepares to face the fears of her past. . .and the wrath of the sister she wronged.”

Review: Like Sisters of Misery, The Lost Sister was an equally riveting tale albeit one that left a bit of some holes behind.

The Lost Sister began with the retelling of some scenes through Cordelia’s eyes. The readers gets a first class ticket into her mind as she thinks back to the Sisters of Misery trial, her struggle afterwards, her life she’s been hiding for the past year or so. Fans of Sisters of Misery will have this opportunity to refresh their memories and give sympathy to Cordelia. This sequel was more action packed, more magical, and more drama filled as we get closure.

Maddie grows through the year she’s been away at boarding school from mousy and to someone who might have a spine. But she comes back to Hawthorne when her mother is diagnosed with cancer.

Again each character is exquisitely done. Again the plotline is diabolical with a hint of disgust to the villains. The plot moves like a snake, twisting this way and that, each time never giving the chance for the reader to suspect the true culprit. I should have seen it coming but alas I was too enraptured by the actual story to make assumption.

The emotions were palpable as the sisters share grief and guilt for the past. Reunions are teary eyed and the answer…deadly. It involves blood, yes it does.

However I would like to know what happened to certain characters in the end. For example Reed. He was a suspect for a murder and the town drunk. There are these little nags in the back of my mind when I put this book done. A lot of it seems to revolve around magic though.

Overall: A nice ending especially since it ended with a bit of a humorist touch.

Cover B-
It seems like my copy of the book dissipates the black as more severe. I can barely see the branches of the tress and only if when you squint your eyes. If it was a lot lighter I would like it more. Right now it reminds me a bit too of Halloween…

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before, but it sounds good! & I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this series for a while. Thanks for the review(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be having a theme - reviews for books with 1/2 girl's face with flowing flowery hair. There's something about unnaturally brilliant orange hair that attracts me :)

    P.S. Unable to control myself any longer (your brain just smells so good!), I bit you! Get cured here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looove the cover on this one. I was sad that it didn't creep me out as much as Sisters of Misery but I still loved it. I agree with wanting to know more about some of the characters though.

    Also, Megan Kelley Hall is like, super awesome, you know? And I love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not as great as the first one but still great hey? I don't like the color much, too orangish for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cover, but I don't know :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this before. It has really captured my interest though. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete