Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Mystery: Megan Crewe

Megan's Top 5 Ghost Movies

I already have a list of my favorite ghost books on my website so I figured it'd be fun to talk about ghosts in another medium: movies! These are my five favorite portrayals of ghosts on the big screen, in chronological order. If you haven't already seen them, give 'em a watch. If you have, why not watch them again?

The Watcher In The Woods (1980) -- I'll admit, I haven't seen this one since I was a kid, so I don't know how well it holds up. But it's one of the first movies I think of when remembering movies that creeped me out. Very suspenseful and spooky. Plus it has Bette Davis in it, which raises the awesome level by like ten points right there.

Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) -- The only movie version of A Christmas Carol I've been able to get through. Does a great job of capturing the original story while making it somewhat kid-friendly--though, whoa, it does have some pretty dark moments. The bit with the Ghost of Christmas Future in the graveyard still freaks me out!

Ghostbusters (1984) -- How can anyone not adore this movie? I do not know. Bill Murray makes such a charming scoundrel, the idea of capturing ghosts with scientific methods is genius, and really: Slimy spirits. Realms of evil in a refrigerator. Giant marshmallow man. I shouldn't have to say more. Hilarious and spooky at the same time.

Ghost (1990) -- I've always loved the idea of a character having to solve the mystery behind his own death. Add a fake medium who suddenly becomes not-so-fake (much to her dismay), a believable romance, and intense emotional moments like the floating penny, and you've got a keeper.

The Frighteners (1996) -- It's possible some of my inspiration for GIVE UP THE GHOST came from this movie--after all, it is about a guy whose only friends are ghosts. But Frank uses his ghost friends in a very different way (scamming folks) and for a very different reason (death of his wife). Another movie that balances laughs with scares to great effect, and the romance is so sweet.

Thanks for hosting me!

Megan

---
Megan Crewe
http://www.megancrewe.com

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Mickey's Christmas Carol! Right up there with A Muppet Christmas Carol. But I would fast forward the movies with the ghost of Christmas present in both versions when I was younger. Still do sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about Mickey's Christmas carol. The other ones are just so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen Ghostbusters out of the ones listed. That was a while ago too, but I think I liked.

    ReplyDelete